The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fmic?

jforn93

What fmic are you guys running with shortest route
I was thinking about running a half radiator and just getting a vhrs kit for a 1g since they are pretty similair to the slowboy kit that i have on my 1g the core is just not as tall which i thought would be perfect for a galant. What do you guys think?

MellowVR4

I would recommend the afco scirroco radiator and either a spearco intercooler or the vr-speed setup. I had to make my own pipes but it works fine.

LIV4PSI

Why did you make your own pipes Mellow?

mitsuturbo

Mine looks exactly like the VRSF. It may be the same thing. IDK. It probably is, but I got it from MachV and they don't sell them anymore.

I shortened the pipes on my endtanks and changed the angle on them a bit, so it would fit better. Oh, i also had the mounting tab in the center welded on in a different spot so that i could bolt it directly to the hood latch support bracket. I think i spent about $70 having a guy TIG weld the pipes and tab back where i wanted them. Then i made my own piping out of stainless. The plumbing that came with the kit left a lot to be desired for a GVR4, and didn't really "work" for me. The FMIC fits very well, though. I'm quite pleased with how it looks.

You can see some pics of it here: click

Chi271

Running a 1g VRSF kit and absolutely love it!! Highly recommended, I'm also on a 3core Honda half radiator if that means anything. But I will be switching to an afco come summer.

Last edited:

turbohf

i run a 1g race intercooler (IRC/Spearco 2-216) with 1g radiator. and custom short route pipes... its a tight fit.

MellowVR4

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Why did you make your own pipes Mellow?

I just wanted to route it a different way then what the kit had in it. Ive changed my setup a few times and just changing the route of my setup.

5OF2k

I ran the VRSF 1g kit on my car with the T67 and an triple core Civic 1/2 rad. With the factory/16g setup and supplied j pipe Im sure it'd fit with minimal modifications, because the only things I had to modify to get mine to fit was a coupler(because of the Magnus manifold and it being lower) and the hot charge pipe due to the T67's size and location as a result of the manifold I was running, plus the 2" wasnt going to cut it flow-wise.

I had to fab up some mounting brackets and mount them to the bumper support area, but other than that it worked very well and fit perfectly with minimal work/adjustments.

-Jake

GSTwithPSI

I was also looking at purchasing a VRSF kit. The price is amazing right now. They are on sale for around $309 (+55 for the 16G J-pipe) for the holidays. I was looking at the 2G kit though, and was wondering how much modification it would take to get it to fit. The core in the 2G kit is larger that that of the 1G kit, and looks like it would fit better.

For you guys who were running the 1G VRSF kit, you got any pics of the install, fitment or after shots?

prove_it

That's cheap. That sucks I just bought an old 1g dejon front mount. I'd rather go this route but, oh well. People buy them up. There are several cars with the 1G kit on it.

5OF2k

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
I was also looking at purchasing a VRSF kit. The price is amazing right now. They are on sale for around $309 (+55 for the 16G J-pipe) for the holidays. I was looking at the 2G kit though, and was wondering how much modification it would take to get it to fit. The core in the 2G kit is larger that that of the 1G kit, and looks like it would fit better.

For you guys who were running the 1G VRSF kit, you got any pics of the install, fitment or after shots?

I think I have pics of it in my build/member thread? Look for "johnny #5"

I thought about the 2g kit too, before I got the 1g kit. while the core is bigger on the 2g kit, I dont know how well it's tuck behind the bumper on our cars. I had a JDM bumper, and even the 1g kit filled the opening and I still had to trim the bumper support a little bit. I think the 2g inlet would have to be modded a bit too, or a bit of re-shaping on the lower drivers' side to make clearance for the hot side pipe....?

Either way, they're good setups. Cheap, and very funtional, plus they fit with very little modification!

-Jake

Diego

My short route setup. The first picture is just mocked up so it was a little slanted but it's okay now.

Diego

swe_gvr4_1991

I went for the shortest possible route with an IC. Without an IC it can be even shorter if running E85. But that's another topic.

Here's how mine is routed:

kims_gvr4_ic_piping.png

Top fed IC with half size radiator placed in the middle.
All steel 2.5" pipes. No long flexible sections.

Last edited:

prove_it

All that work to have a short route IC set-up and you still use the factory intake? Swap that out asap!

bmxr152

I think the vrsf 1g intercooler is the shortest route, that is the only reason why i chose it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts