The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fmic relocation up againsted condensor

tektic

This is what I'd like to do.

EDIT: This totally wont work without modifying the intercooler.

img.php

The fmic I have now needs to be modified to work so I'm considering a punishment or vrsf unit. Has anyone done this successfully. Please show pictures.

Last edited:

AWDPower

You are keeping the A/C, correct? I had intended on mounting my EVO I/C like that. The problem I ran into was that I couldn't fit the condenser fan on the back of the radiator. I figured even if I could find one that fit, the turbo would cook it.

turbowop

If you want your AC to function properly in stop/go traffic, you will need to replace the pusher fan somehow. I'm not sure how you will do that with that core in front of the condenser. Also looks like getting piping to that thing will be interesting. Why do you want to put it there instead of the normal location?

*edit* Jason beat me to it. And...my post was at 10:51am. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

AWDPower

I like the idea, and can see the advantages. No need to modify the bumper. The airflow through the core is not blocked. The airflow should also have an easier time going through the I/C, A/C, and radiator cores. The gap with a normal install disrupts the airflow and gives escape routes. Lots of factory intercoolers are installed this way.

James

I think its due to using a GSX front bumper which has very limited space.

tektic

I have a Gsx and want to keep it looking stock. I was planning on a half rad and a stock dsm ac puller fan mounted directly on the condensor. Think that might work? Or no room with the turbo?

EHmotorsports

the bumper and grill will be in the way for direct airflow. not saying it will not get any airflow but it will not be efficient. if you were to move it lower in the path of the bumper opening it would be better. plus if you are worried about airflow to the radiator get some aluminum sheet and bend it to make side and lower ducting to the radiator.

pmp285

You have to modify the both end tanks to make it work. Driver side is easy. Just chane the straight inlet with a 90 deg elbow. But the passenger side is tricky

turbowop

Quoting tektic:
I have a Gsx and want to keep it looking stock. I was planning on a half rad and a stock dsm ac puller fan mounted directly on the condensor. Think that might work? Or no room with the turbo?

If you go to a half radiator and you use a slim fan pulling air through the condenser it will work. But that's an awful lot of trouble to go through to mount the intercooler like that. Tally up what's required and you might as well pick up a stock GVR4 front bumper instead.

tektic

I have all but civic 3 core rad. Its $120 shipped and its a nice looking piece so no biggie. I'd consider it, if anyone has a white vr4 bumper cover for sale, but I do like the idea of the total gsx sleeper look.

I Slid the bumper back on and took a couple shots. From the front you can't tell there's an intercooler in there. If I do this I will definitely be making some tin channels for air flow up to the ic and rad and such. Most likely cutting some channels through the bumper and cover also.

This was the idea to mod the end tank. I was going to have these pipes welded up to the sides. Not that long though I'd never get it in place.

Who does aluminum welding on long island? What should I be expecting to pay to do this?

Other core is still an option. Still would like to see 1g punishment or vrsf installs.

AWDPower

It's hard to tell from the pics, but could you fit silicone 90's on the ends of the I/C to make the connections? That would make things a lot easier.

tektic

If I cut all the way to the frame rail I only have 3" on pass side and 4" on driver. I don't want to cut that far. If I move away from the condenser an inch or 2 an s shaped hose would work. Haven't seen one though. Or like this. __/\ /\__ to make turn but thread in the hole past the condenser.

kama1

Very small space there,looks like it will hit the wire harness also.
Shortest route ive seen is with 1051,went behind the headlamp on the passside

James

Shortest would be a TMIC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tektic

Ok. So someone who has a punishment or vrsf kit, please tell me if you think I have enough room. I will be cutting the supports and welding the bumper back together with some channels cut in it. I wil likely have to cut the plastic out of the bottom too.

Last edited:

boostedinaz

I had plans of using an EVO intercooler, but got a deal I couldn't refuse for our shop cars old air to air intercooler. With some basic measurements we were pretty sure it would fit in the same location you are talking about and it's a pretty big core 4.5 X 12 X 18. Ideally I'd find a core that would fit a little better but this one will work just as well...once I make it all work.

Now that I have it mounted I'll make end tanks, then I'll do the pipping.

I'm gonna do a whole write up about the process when it's done but I'll post up a couple pics from today.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts