The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FMIC Options- Proud owner for 6 hours

gijoe985

So, I've been a proud owner of number 537/1000 for about six hours now. My first Galant vr4, but I've had a few dsms in the past and still have a 3kgt vr4.

One of my first questions, that I haven't seen an answer to yet, is if anyone has done an upgraded front mount intercooler, without removing the AC fan? Secondly, can anyone describe what the AC is like without the fan? I want to modify this car, but I also want to keep it as an enjoyable driver. The previous owner put in a strut support bar, but I am thinking about removing it because he had out take out the cruise control. (Which thankfully he included).

Anyway, just curious to hear what others have done.

jnava

Staff member
No need to remove ac fan with ETS FMIC. I think it's a great setup and will be essential if I ever try to go bigger.

Edit: unlike your weather, Texas weather tends to roast you slowly in the summer. I would just keep it if you can.

Last edited:

turbowop

AC without the fan sucks in stop/go traffic. While cruising down the freeway, it will be fine. The condenser needs airflow to cool the refrigerant.

My setup retains the stock AC fan and it's pretty much the biggest intercooler you can fit.

BTW, I see you're in Eburg. Hello from Yakima. You have a knowledgeable guy by the name of Karter in your town with a sweet GVR4 as well. If you wanna see my setup in more than pics, you can stop by my haus and check it out.

Last edited:

gijoe985

I'll have to swing by sometime. Your car looks great. Much more than Ive envisioned for myself so far.

What are the dimensions for your intercooler? I assume you had.to remove the inner bumper to instal that?

turbowop

Since I have a JDM bumper, I don't have the normal reinforcement. That's a USDM thing only to satisfy the 5mph crash standards. The JDM bumper fits right over my setup without issue for the most part. I just trimmed some urethane on the bottom.

Dimensions are 28 x 10.5 x 3.5. It's a Spearco 2-216 core.

gijoe985

One other question, I mentioned above that the previous owner ditched the cruise control for the strut brace. Has anyone gotten those to both work? I haven't had time to investigate how/where the cruise parts were mounted, but I'd rather have it if possible, though I like having the strut brace too...

turbohf

Quoting raptorreed:
Oh snap another PNW member!

we lurk...

i have a spearco 2-216 core intercooler also. all the AC stuff is there except the belt and the fan that i forgot was missing till this thread, but i have room for a 10-12" pusher.

i made a thread of my intercooler install if you search.

turbowop

Quoting gijoe985:
One other question, I mentioned above that the previous owner ditched the cruise control for the strut brace. Has anyone gotten those to both work? I haven't had time to investigate how/where the cruise parts were mounted, but I'd rather have it if possible, though I like having the strut brace too...

Flip the strut brace so the it's on the front of the strut towers, like you can see in pics of my engine bay. Many people have used them with CC.

Hertz

Staff member
You may find that the cruise control doesn't work well, especially when you start modding. My experience was that it would get into boost, fly past the set speed, coast back, repeat.

gijoe985

Yeah, I kinda noticed that. Good to know, I'll have to try flipping that and getting the CC back in for now.

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting gijoe985:

Flip the strut brace so the it's on the front of the strut towers, like you can see in pics of my engine bay. Many people have used them with CC.

gijoe985

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting gijoe985:

Just noticed that my strut towers only have 3 bolts holting them and no front one. There is a rubber plug there...

I'm still doing engine work, but I'll have to look into this once I'm done...

GSX_TC

Quoting turbowop:

My setup retains the stock AC fan and it's pretty much the biggest intercooler you can fit.

Truth! That's one tight fit using this intercooler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned