The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Flapper on exhaust side of turbo stuck open

Tell me if anyone has ran across this problem. The other day I got into full boost and afterward noticed the exhaust sounded like it had a massive leak. Got it home and checked the downpipe gasket and while down there realized the exhaust was coming from my o2 dump. Next morning I went ahead and pulled the wastegate actuator off and checked the flapper. The rod it's connected to actually slides out a bit. Didn't think much of it at the time and sprayed everything with wd40 and called it a day. Fixed the issue and thought it was smooth sailing. Well yesterday I got the 3" turbo back installed and I wanted to see if there was a difference in power. This time while in boost it felt sluggish up top. and once again the o2 dump was screaming. So picked up a new exhaust housing from Geno and went to work last night. One thing that struck me odd though was the fact that the flapper arm is sliding outward away from the housing. Both exhaust housings I got from Geno are solid in that direction and only flip up or down.

Here's a video of what I mean.
click

In the vid you can see how the flapper goes off center of the hole and is very hard to flip side to side

Muskrat

I'm guessing you want to know why the flapper got stuck? (wasn't really clear in the post)

I'd say just examine it vs the good one you have and you should be able to figure it out. Something wore out/broke that retains the flapper it sounds like. Try and figure out how it was put assembled. That will give you a clue.

Yeah, that's the plan. Just the downpipe is fighting with me so I'm going to have to wait for a second hand to get it out. I'm wondering if it's repairable. If it is, i'd like to keep it since it's the 16g hotside

BluFalcon

Looks like a Taiwan exhaust housing. The flapper arm is supposed to be centered so that the flapper door closes over the wastegate port. This is accomplished on the factory MHI and Taiwan style housing by a friction fit bushing that keeps the flapper valve and arm centered in the correct position. From what i can see in the video, it looks like the bushing is loose causing the arm to hang open. You might be able to pull the housing off the car and have the bushing tack welded into place to keep it from moving around.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts