The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

First trip to the track

1941Galant

I finally took my first trip to the track today. I ended up running a 12.8 for my first time out, and I had a best of 12.54@112. I'm running around 22 psi on a 50 trim, and just a keydiver chip for the tune. I'm going to install DSMap sometime this week, and hopefully get the car tuned well enough to hit high 11's at 118-120mph. My two best runs were as follows.

60' 1.760 1.901
1/8 8.105 8.133
mph 89.62 90.25
1/4 12.564 12.548
mph 111.82 112.61

I was running into some issues, like not being able to turn the boost past 22psi, which is now fixed, and my trans was occasionally popping out of 1st and 2nd (new trans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif). It also seems like I'm losing a lot of top end; I don't think the bolt on PTE turbine housing compliments the 2.4 very well. Overall I drove my car an hour away, beat the hell out of it 10 times and drove back without an issue, so I'm happy.

poor mustang
click

click

I would also like to thank Sean (sleepinGVR4) for coming out to help and video tape.

Last edited:

2of9

nice. congrats man. i'd love a mid 12 second pass in the galant.

dmj

Sweet holeshot , leaving the Mustang behind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

cheekychimp

Nice runs, especially for a first time. It always amazes me how sedentary everything looks on video when you know from the times that the cars were hauling ass!

1941Galant

Thanks, after driving the car I was kind of surprised with how slow it looks in the video. I don't think the mustang owner was too happy about that run. I would've beaten a C6 vette too, but the trans popped out of 2nd on that run; however I can't decide if that is a good thing or not since the guy pulled into my lane and slammed on the brakes to make the first turn in, which caused me to serve into his lane to avoid his dumb ass.

number3

Awesome job!

Ah the beaver...

SleepinGVR4

Haha. I knew someone would comment about Beaver, that knew this area.

Its been a long time coming from the beginning of Hill's build til now. Actually I think Hill has more fun working on his car than racing it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It was a lot of fun and hopefully another member from the board will hit the track this upcoming weekend.

I shot this video of Hill's engine bay while we were at the track. Hope you don't mind Hill. Click

1941Galant

I don't mind, and I also found something kind of interesting when I took a look at my car today. Apparently for my last run (where it started knocking), and the drive home, I had a huge hole in my intake since my BOV recirc plug fell out. So basically I went the first 9 runs with a boost leak, and the last run with a hole in the intake. I may take her out again at 26-28 psi before the end of the season, if I can get the car into the 11's I won't feel so bad about upgrading the turbo over the winter.

85tr

Damn that quad was with you tell about the 1/8th mile, im impressed he must have run at least a 14.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting 1941Galant:
I don't mind, and I also found something kind of interesting when I took a look at my car today. Apparently for my last run (where it started knocking), and the drive home, I had a huge hole in my intake since my BOV recirc plug fell out. So basically I went the first 9 runs with a boost leak, and the last run with a hole in the intake. I may take her out again at 26-28 psi before the end of the season, if I can get the car into the 11's I won't feel so bad about upgrading the turbo over the winter.

Your boost leak being the vacuum line connected to your boost gauge? You finally lost that plug huh? haha Hopefully your turbo didn't eat it. Maybe you should have that hole welded shut.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting 85tr:
Damn that quad was with you tell about the 1/8th mile, im impressed he must have run at least a 14.

Yeah he ran that thing all damn day. Beat a honda, integra, maybe even a wrx. haha

1941Galant

Quoting 85tr:

It was pretty damn quick for a quad. On this run, his ET was 15.8 @ 74 mph, in the 1/8th he was at 9.5 @ 66 mph.

1941Galant

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
Quoting 1941Galant:

Your boost leak being the vacuum line connected to your boost gauge? You finally lost that plug huh? haha Hopefully your turbo didn't eat it. Maybe you should have that hole welded shut.

Yep, the plug just ended up falling out and landing on the trans, probably after the launch, but who knows. Everything is fixed, so I may take her out today to see how she does, and if all goes well I may hit up Numidia this coming weekend just to try and dip into the 11's.

BoostedAWD91

You gonna run again Sunday with me hill? I guess beaver is the only place open. Definitely looking forward to taking my car down the track

1941Galant

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
You gonna run again Sunday with me hill? I guess beaver is the only place open. Definitely looking forward to taking my car down the track

I doubt I will go out next weekend. I still need to do a once over on the car, and put some more miles on it before I take it to the track again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned