The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

First time at the dragstrip in six years last night...

turbowop

...and I can't launch for sh*t. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

First pass was bad. Knock light went crazy in fourth so I let out of the throttle early and ran a 12.8 @ 115 with a crap 2.2 60ft due to a bogged launch. Looked at the log and saw massive knock in fourth which resulted in a melted plug in cylinder 2. I'm lucky that was all that happened. Went over the tune with a couple of DSM buddies and we richened it up and pulled some timing. Problem is, I'm off the damn load cells map, and shouldn't be with my setup. Gonna have to do some major re-tuning to bring me into the cells I should be in at WOT.

After replacing the plugs and changing the tune, the next pass was only seeing knock around 2 degrees and had my fastest trap to date. 120.82mph. It also was a bogged launch so a crap et.

I can't stutterbox this thing because meth starts spraying at 10psi and stutter builds more boost than that on the line. Since stutter kills fuel, meth would still spray and create a nasty lean condition. So I have to just rev it and feather the clutch. I didn't realize that my launch rpm was set to 5750 until the last pass so I figured out that I would rev it, then floor it and let the clutch out when the tree came down, but it would limit me to 5750 and bog out. I move the launch limit up to 7k and that fixed it. My last pass had a decent 1.88 60ft, but wasn't that impressive down track since we pulled even more timing and added more fuel to try some different tuning stuff. My laptop also died so I didn't have a log of that run. At that point I called it quits and drove home.

A couple things:

My dyno tune was not good on track. In fact it was downright crappy and almost cost me the motor. I did a compression test today and found all cylinders within 5psi of each other, so I dodged a bullet there.

The new trans is AMAZING. Shifts so smooth at high RPM. I never once felt it grind, block, or feel notchy. Just smooth transitions from gear to gear. The new TMZ clutch works awesome. Holds the power great and disengages perfectly. It's also easy to modulate off the line, once I got the launch bugs worked out.

I think the car has some easy mid to high 11's in it and some faster trap speeds once I get the tune and driving down. I didn't have any great et's last night, but having a new best trap speed feels good. It was fun to be in the staging lanes again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gizmovr4

Awesome - glad to see 1051 going to the track. That's a well put together car I'm sure you will work out the bugs. The better timeslips will come!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

matt92vr4

Congrats on getting back to the track. I've seen a lot of perfect dyno tunes run like sh*t on the street. I also thought it had something to do with higher loads on the street.

What kind of pistons do you have? I'm impressed you could knock that bad and not blow it up.

I ran a 11.4@122 with a 1.6 60ft. You definitely have the trap to run mid 11's. I'm sure you will increase your trap next time out with a better tune. You also need to find a way to use the 2 step without spraying. Can you set a parameter to NOT spray until MPH > 0 or something like that?

Last edited:

Jason G.

It's been about the same amount of time since I've been down a track.

I think I will be going with that clutch too, thanks for the feedback on it.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Hey mark, if you ever find out who that guy was that was photographing your car that day, can you post the pics of it? I wanna see those sexy launch pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting matt92vr4:

What kind of pistons do you have? I'm impressed you could knock that bad and not blow it up.

Stock bottom end with 140k on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I'm glad it held together. What's even crazier, is I melted two plugs the same way back in '06 or so trying to tune in my meth kit for the first time. Too lean on meth at torque peak. I guess I'm lucky.

In other news, I'm picking up those Muellerized JIC's from Clint from the thread about the Ohlins. I'm hoping for some better street behavior from those vs. my Tein HA's.

GreenGSX

You should consider using ECM link to control the meth injection. That way you can set it to come on based on load, rpm, and throttle position. The link will provide a switched ground to turn your relay on and off. That's how we got around that problem with the One Lap car. It also helps with the no lift to shift option as well. Not that the car's ever had a transmission I could use the stutter box. I've been rolling it out of the box the last couple of times its been down the strip.

turbowop

Yeah, that's something I should look into changing, and may be something I'll do over the winter. I'm just not looking forward to doing a bunch of wiring all over again so I'll probably procrastinate for awhile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JNR

How hard would it be to install a switch somewhere to deactivate the meth system during 'stutterbox' time and after you get going hit the switch to turn it back on...maybe something like a micro switch installed somewhere within easy reach near the steering wheel or something....best if you could do it thru the program, but maybe in the meantime and only have it 'installed' when you go to the track, or know you're going to launch like that.

btw - I'd like to take the galant to the track soon after I dial it in, although you think 6 years is a long time, last time I went to the track to run was in my 96 formula when it was still new, lol. Be really weird going again, but least we have awd to take away a variable (vs. something like my chevelle that lights up the drag radials at will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Quoting turbowop:
Yeah, that's something I should look into changing, and may be something I'll do over the winter. I'm just not looking forward to doing a bunch of wiring all over again so I'll probably procrastinate for awhile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Mark,

How did you end up doing the wiring for the methanol injection again? I seem to remember you saying that when you went to tune it something was wrong and you had to rewire one of the relays or switches?. I am sure what Mike is suggesting is just using the nitrous controls but set up to control the meth. I am also fairly certain that that only involves using one of the spare solenoids wired in series so that the system won't operate without the nitrous parameters being met. I don't think you have to change your existing wiring, just tap into it at source so that it cannot function without ECMLink's say so!

Someone correct me if that's wrong but that was my understanding of how the nitrous controls were set up.

Paul.

turbowop

Quoting JNR:
How hard would it be to install a switch somewhere to deactivate the meth system during 'stutterbox' time and after you get going hit the switch to turn it back on...maybe something like a micro switch installed somewhere within easy reach near the steering wheel or something....best if you could do it thru the program, but maybe in the meantime and only have it 'installed' when you go to the track, or know you're going to launch like that.

btw - I'd like to take the galant to the track soon after I dial it in, although you think 6 years is a long time, last time I went to the track to run was in my 96 formula when it was still new, lol. Be really weird going again, but least we have awd to take away a variable (vs. something like my chevelle that lights up the drag radials at will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

It launched okay not using stutterbox, so wiring in switches and changing the way methanol is kicked in isn't very high on my priorities list. Especially since I don't plan to drag the car that often. This was just something I felt like doing again for the hell of it. I went to the track a month or so ago and seeing everybody else race made me wanna run mine as well. I may go once more after I get the tune dialed in to see what she does, but racing the car won't be a regular thing, and the next time I go may not even be until next spring.

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting cheekychimp:
Quoting turbowop:

Mark,

How did you end up doing the wiring for the methanol injection again? I seem to remember you saying that when you went to tune it something was wrong and you had to rewire one of the relays or switches?. I am sure what Mike is suggesting is just using the nitrous controls but set up to control the meth. I am also fairly certain that that only involves using one of the spare solenoids wired in series so that the system won't operate without the nitrous parameters being met. I don't think you have to change your existing wiring, just tap into it at source so that it cannot function without ECMLink's say so!

Someone correct me if that's wrong but that was my understanding of how the nitrous controls were set up.

Paul.

Yeah, Paul, that's pretty much how ECMlink would control it. My simple system is controlled by Hobbs switches and sends a switched ground to the ECU's idle switch input to tell it to run different fuel/timing maps when meth is spraying. It wouldn't be as simple as just changing one wire. Using the nitrous controls would be a superior way of running it, but again, that's a project I just don't feel like getting into right now. I'm not getting rid of the car anytime soon, so I'll put it on the to-do list for sometime in the next decade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

EMX5636

You could keep it setup how you have (the link controlled option is better though, that's what I'm doing), but why spraying so early? What's your peak boost? My meth doesn't start spraying until about 18-19psi (and 30mph). I noticed if I started earlier, it was harder to tune while boost was ramping up.

bazeng

Awesome effort regardless.

Mph is nothing to ignore. Especially with a block setup!

With the Meth on launch discussion, easy method, clutch switch or hand brake switch to disable to Hobbs switch from working during launch?

curtis

2.2 and a 1.88 60....1051 needs a driver mod done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Ok I shut the f*** up and go back to polishing my jackstands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts