The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

First night at drag strip for #139: goals met.

NateCrisman

Finished up the build on #139 this week, and while there are still quite a few minor issues to take care of, I felt the need to beat the snot out of it right away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

So off I went to Island dragway, all of 11miles from my garage. The car had straight 93 pumpgas. I couldn't get a 60' to save my life all night, I was spinning tires like crazy and letting off in first gear. Didn't even get out the laptop between runs, I just moved the fuel pressure up a bit and adjusted the boost between runs. Spend my time just working on the driving and checking stuff between runs (the car only has 58 miles on it since being built, including all the runs and the way home).

7:08pm 13.056 @ 110.19 1.868 spun launch, 20psi, lifting all shifts
7:23pm 12.868 @ 112.35 1.906 spin & lifted. 21psi. powershift 3 to 4
7:52pm 12.705 @ 114.41 2.045 really spun bad and didn't let up in first, so 1-2 shift was way early causing bog in 2nd. 21psi powershifting all gears
8:06pm 13.094 @ 111.39 2.064 bogged launch trying to baby it. missed 2-3 gear change. Boost up to 23psi.
?:??pm 12.39x @ 118.95 2.XXX left slip in the car. boost up to 25psi in 3rd gear. still knock counts of a few blibs of 1 or 2.
9:03pm 11.958 @ 119.59 1.824 babied it off the line with smooth clutch slip. 25psi up to 3rd gear. 4th gear boost was about 26psi. powershifted all changes.

So, I had an awesome night, I really was expecting at best, mid 12's and about 112. When I got the first slip saying 110 I was really suprised and happy knowing that was only at 20psi and the car ran pretty clean. The 114 pass I though was good, the 118mph blew me away. After seeing that mph the next run I just tried to concentrate on getting a smooth launch and making sure I didn't shift 1-2 early (was doing that often). Damn near 120mph and an 11sec pass was not on my radar for pumpgas on my first attempt.

Maybe I can do a little better ET on sunday at Etown. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif I'm sure there is more in it since I didn't touch the timing or do any fine tuning what so ever. Laptop stayed behind my seat the whole time. I did bump the fuel pressure up after the first run and set my fuel map to 10.5 since the tune in the car was a previous track map on racegas, but with a blown turbo. The last run I saw just a little knock in 4th gear when the boost got above 25psi, about 4-6 knock counts. Next time I'll go right to this tune/boost level and work from there. Pull the headlight & filter. See about getting some better traction with tire pressure/alignment and better track conditions.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif log the next time you make a pass.

NateCrisman

I have logs on my palm m130 from each run. I should figure out how to get them viewable online. (I'm a mac guy, keep a crappy old pc around just to load palm software when the batteries die.) I borrow a windows laptop at the track to tune. My street tuning gets done by driving/logging then bringing the ostrich box into the house so I can connect it to that crappy pc.

Struc

Absolutely unbelievable. Puts a lot of the rest of us to shame.

Congrats!

Awesome man, I have really enjoyed watching your build up (and pictures) and it is even better paying off like that.

It is amazing how the driver can make a car perform so much better. 13.0 at 110 is a typical bolt on car and then dialing it in to trapping 120 and dipping into the 11s is great. Good work.

Polish

That is a great night for sure, amazing what they can do when built right the first time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

Real nice runs man the 118 MPH is GREAT.. work on the 60 times and see mid 11's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NateCrisman

Thanks for all the pep talk and congrats guys, I really do appreciate it. Hopefully I can improve the ET and driving tomorrow at the Etown shootout race, Im sure the track prep will be quite a bit better. Ill also get a real total weight on Etown's scale. Getting a decent time out of the car on the first night really takes the pressure off. Now I can go tomorrow, have fun, try to run better, but if not, no biggie. I can go on vacation knowing the car runs good and I won't have "why the hell doesn't it run right?, what did I do wrong?" in my head the whole time. (OCD again).

So, Ill report back tomorrow from the track. Cross your fingers for an improvement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ghostinthevr4

Great rebuild and great driving, I hope my rebuild goes as good as yours those are sick results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

TWEAKD4

Wasting no time seeing what she can do. Very impressive and good work on the build.

belize1334

I was just looking at your Members' Rides page and I noticed that you have your camber plates mounted on the front 3 bolts instead of the rear 3. Are you doing that on purpose to decrease your caster? I know for handling it is desirable to have alot of caster but it does make the car twitchy; are you trying to make it more stable for drag-racing?

NateCrisman

Not done for any specific reason, I just tossed them on knowing the car was going to roll around on the bilstien setup for one tank of gas, then I was putting the D2 coilovers on when I came home from vacation. I'm pretty sure I just put them back on the same way they came off #931, but I doubt they were installed with any specific alignment setting desired either.

Good thing to point out though, I hadn't thought about it. As for "handling", I really couldn't care less how it goes around any corner other than turning around at the end of the dragstrip. Handling is not a priority at all, and given the choice, Ill take settings that improve dragstrip performance over anything else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

NateCrisman

Ok, Im a tool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Right on top of each camber plate there is an L and a R sticker. I put the wrong shock on the wrong side of the car when I swapped them from one car to another. doh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

no biggie, like I said, they are being replaced right away.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I saw your car too yesterday and noticed the positive rear camber. Your back tires look like this \ /

Nuff respect Nate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif. This has to be the fastest built gvr4 ever & complete with time slips. Do you live by yourself? That's a lot of time & effort put into the build in such a short time frame.

NateCrisman

Yeah, no I don't live by myself. I have a wife and two kids: Boys, Alex is 4, Joshua will be 3 in Nov. We share a house with my in-laws to keep expenses in check. GTluke calls it a compound! hahaha

My wife teaches 3rd grade and makes a decent wage and has very good benefits. I stay at home with the kids and make money on the side. Mr-Mom is my main job. I do wedding photography (about 12 a year) and I part out DSMs. Neither job is full time enough to live on, but the two together come pretty close to what I was making working full time at an engineering firm. The engineering job was eating up nearly 11 hours a day (8hr work, 1hr each way commute, 1hr lunch) and I was seeing my kids for all of 30 minutes before they went to bed. I got laid off from the job in December 08, it was the best thing to happen as it forced me to step up my photography and get started in the partouts, which has worked out better than I expected. I go crazy "working for the man", I just can't do it. I was my own boss running DSMotorsport from 01 till 07, and the engineering job was just not my tea cup. Besides, why do I want to spend two full weeks working every day to make the same take home paycheck that I make in one single day of shooting a wedding.

So, during summer, my wife is home 24/7. Gave me a couple days a week to just crank on building this car and parting out others. I put an honest 2-3 full days a week into building 139 from May until mid August. I had to absolutely kick butt the last couple weeks to finish it before we leave for vacation (in about 9 hours actually). When we come home, wife goes back to work, I go back to watching the boys everyday, and time for GVR4 work and partouts will drop to nights after bedtime and maybe 1 day a week when I can get my inlaws or grandparents to keep track of the boys. Alex goes to preschool this year 3 days a week, so it might not be too hard to get in some time while I only have the little one to watch over. He likes to be a helper, so maybe I can get some stuff done occasionally when I only have him.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts