The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Finally I can complete the 5 lug swap ... (with daylight photos)

cheekychimp

... and get the remaining two EVO wheels onto the daily.

I've been battling with this swap to a full GTO (3KGT) undercarriage on my daily since day one. It isn't something I would recommend if you can get away with just using brake caliper brackets to fit bigger rotors but the test centre Nazis over here have gone into overdrive recently and started failing any vehicle using adapter brackets. I have no idea how we are going to address the huge brakes on the other car right now, but the solution with the daily was to just go with the 3KGT hubs all round.

I did the front hubs at Xmas and we had a whole world of heartache with the driver's side wheel bearing caused by an ill-fitting axle used with the front plate LSD on the short ratio gearbox. I went through two bearings in as many months and it took a fair amount of testing and machining to get the axle and bearing to mate correctly. Given our experience with the passenger side I'd say it's highly likely that a late model RVR driver's side axle might work. Sadly we didn't have one to try.

Anyway we finally got that sorted. I now have 3KGT four pots mounted natively to 3KGT hubs at the front running off a 3KGT master. I still have minor vibration at the front. I think that may be the result of some unevenly worn tyres caused by both poor alignment and the previous bearing issues. I'll probably get some new tyres, hubcentric rings and a proper alignment after I fit the new rears, and see if that clears it up.

Last night I dropped the car off with Ken to get the rear sub-frame swapped.

Custom sway bar brackets, big 26mm whiteline rear sway bar and Ken even scored some upgraded Brembo rear calipers and rotors that mount directly to the rear hubs without brackets. Apparently they were a 3KGT kit but we haven't found any front calipers to match yet.

Can't wait to see the car with matching front and rear wheels after driving around on mismatched rims for 5 months.

Last edited:

strokin4dr

This is interesting. Keep us updated with pics!

RedTwo

So the other car has the first GTO swap?
If you're a sadist and love laying upside down in your drivers foot well you could swap in the GTO brake booster too!

cheekychimp

The project car only has the rear subframe swap (with modified 4 lug hubs and GTO handbrake mod for use with bigger rear calipers), the daily has GTO hubs front and rear.

Both cars have the GTO brake booster as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif but I had someone fit it for me ... I'm not that much of a sadist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

RedTwo

So... photos? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
What did you have to machine to get it all to fit in the front? Axles? Bearings?

Last edited by a moderator:

cheekychimp

I'll get pictures up as soon as I can but I don't get the car back until tonight and it will likely be dark by the time I get home.

Edit: Ignore previous post here, completely wrong and totally misleading! See below for details! (I also edited my first post to remove conflicting/incorrect information).

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Right, spoke with Ken this evening. My Cantonese is pretty good but sometimes when we start getting technical, stuff gets lost in translation. It took a while to get everything straight but this is what happened up front.

(1) GTO (3KGT) hubs on both sides;
(2) GTO (3KGT) wheel bearings on both sides;
(3) Mitsubishi RVR passenger side axle (RHD car) plug and play;
(4) VR4 driver's side axle (RHD car).

VR4 axle came with the plate LSD short ratio (4.3 final ratio) gearbox. It may or may not have been a different length to a standard VR4 axle (does anyone know if a plate LSD at the front requires different axle cups, as it does with a rear plate LSD?). What I do know is that the GTO (3KGT) bearing once in the hub was not 'engaging' (I use the word loosely for want of a better term) either because the axle was shorter OR because the GTO (3KGT) hub widened the track at the front essentially making a standard axle too short. Since the RVR axle on the passenger side fitted, we believe that a RVR driver's side axle 'might' be the solution but we didn't have one to try.

Now I have no idea what you call one of these pieces ...

There are two that fit into each side of the wheel bearing to prevent the bearing surfaces (sides) from binding. Since the bearing was essentially too far away from the axle, a 'spacer' the exact same diameter as the centre part of this piece had to be machined to space the bearing out to the correct position.

PITA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

However now everything works! The new tyres (plus alignment) have eliminated all of the previous vibration that I was experiencing.

To reiterate the point of all this, I now have four pot GTO (3KGT) brake calipers up front with native fitment to the GTO (3KGT) hubs and Brembo twin pot calipers at the rear on bigger rotors again with native fitment to the rear GTO (3KGT) hubs. The parking brake at the rear is now a stock GTO (3KGT) drum brake using a GTO (3KGT) cable mated to the stock VR4 lever in the cabin. No brake adapter brackets anywhere. Braking feel and balance has been improved dramatically and although the wheels now sit very slightly proud due to a much wider track, I actually think the stance of the car has been dramatically improved.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Pictures ...

Sorry, best I could do in the dark with 5 mins in between it pissing down with rain all evening.

I'll get better pics in daylight. Best I could manage tonight was a picture of the DRZ with the SSW package!

G

Staff member
That looks real good. Doesn't look to be out of spec as much as many have speculated. I'm wondering what axles would be needed for a usdm swap. What about just swapping the axle cups in favor of the 3kgt units?

G

Staff member
Also what year 3kgt were the hubs from?

cheekychimp

Quoting G:
That looks real good. Doesn't look to be out of spec as much as many have speculated. I'm wondering what axles would be needed for a usdm swap. What about just swapping the axle cups in favor of the 3kgt units?

Very likely that is possible if you have a stock USDM gearbox. My understanding is that there was something different about the axle on my driver side because of the plate LSD. However I haven't verified this and I remember reading that all Mitsubishi axle cups are interchangeable which suggests to me that what you are proposing would work.

I don't know what year the hubs are. I'll try to find out. Is there any obvious difference between years?

G

Staff member
I think the sizes changed. 1g vs 2g. I think the 2g required 18" rims and the 1g were 16" rims.

RedTwo

They increased the brake rotor diameter and lengthened the callipers mounting tabs. I believe there are photos on here showing the difference in tab lengths.
According to ASA USA the hub assembly is superseded (read interchangeable)

G

Staff member
So the calipers are the same for all of them?

cheekychimp

Quoting RedTwo:
They increased the brake rotor diameter and lengthened the callipers mounting tabs. I believe there are photos on here showing the difference in tab lengths.
According to ASA USA the hub assembly is superseded (read interchangeable)

Mmmm that's interesting! I wonder if I got the biggest rotors possible then?

cheekychimp

Here you go, sorry about the state of the car. It only stopped raining last night!

I'm a sucker for this look and I really like the wheels this wide. However if I'm really honest it needs a 42 offset. Still it has been a worthwhile exercise in that we learnt a few things about how to tuck the wheels a little more and this should enable us to get the Compomotive MOs on the other car to fit a little better. Anyway, I'm pleased with the result. The car rides really well and it looks good in my opinion. I may however need to raise the ride height a tad at the rear as I still get slight rubbing on bumps with passengers in the back.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Wow those rear hubs really widen the track in the rear. I'm torn between trying this or just doing a basic 5 lug spindle swap.

dc_style

paul! looking great! time to get these seats over to you... man, i have been itching to make it back over there lately... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IncorpoRatedX

love it, great work paul!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned