The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FIAV and ISC removal

In honor of some old threads I *finally* got my lower throttle body off. It's a bitch, or it was. 1 Screw came out easy. 2 came out with the phillips screwdriver bit in the drill. 2 had to be slotted. One broke the flathead bit in the drillscriver
shocked.gif

I'll make a blockoff plate now and give everyone good dimensions. The one bim posted was for a JDM TB so it's slightly off.

tblower.JPG

carnagefiav.JPG

Haha. No that's further down my legs. My car "pants" have giant holes in them everywhere.

Yes, I think I would HIGHLY recommend people use an impact driver to remove those screws!

me = no impact driver
frown.gif

me = battery powered drill-scriver and success! The right tools probably would have made this job much easier but mine were as tight as they come and this method eventually did the trick for those out there without an impact driver.

turbowop

I replaced the screws in mine after finally getting them out with some nice allen head screws. Now it's easy to get the bottom half off.

I blocked off the FIAV by filling its channel with JB weld, so that I could retain the ISC's function. I just did this tonight so we'll see how it works out tomorrow.
smile.gif

quote:Originally posted by turbowop:
I replaced the screws in mine after finally getting them out with some nice allen head screws. Now it's easy to get the bottom half off.

I blocked off the FIAV by filling its channel with JB weld, so that I could retain the ISC's function. I just did this tonight so we'll see how it works out tomorrow.
smile.gif
Replacing the screws with allen head bolts is an excellent idea!
idea.gif
When I took off the lower half of the throttle body I had to slot all but one screw with a Dremmel tool. Pain in the a$$! Sometimes I wonder who installed some of these screws/fittings/flanges (throttle body screws, fuel line fitting, fuel filter fitting, etc.). Superman, Hulk, Mr. T., or some other ultra-strong 80's figure...
grin.gif

blockoff.JPG

Blockoff is completed and works pimp'n style
wink.gif
Bolts are m5x0.8 10mm length allen head. Next up is the throttle body rebuild VFAQ style. I'll post pictures here for those who search the archives. Hehe

V8EATER

what is the gain in blocking off the ISC? I've already blocked off the FIAV and the EGR for throttle surge issues, but the ISC?

Bimmubishi

Two notes on this cause I've done it as well.

When you're done there's an unavoidable feeling like you should have adapted a larger TB instead of tearing the Mitsu' down. I was sort of disappointed with mine because all of the crucial interfaces that made the TB a Mitsu one were gone, the motor, the wires everything. Time may be better spent adapting a 'stang body but who knows. My idle works.

Also, the screws can be grabbed with vice grips if you have nice fresh ones. It makes the job a snap with no chance of stripping the heads.

AL

PS -Plesko.. that is your crotch. Don't deny it.
tongue.gif

The mitsu works really well and I don't really feel the need to go bigger yet. We'll see if that changes now that I eliminated lots of it.

Bim - You know you framed that picture on your wall now
tongue.gif

quote:Originally posted by V8EATER:
what is the gain in blocking off the ISC? I've already blocked off the FIAV and the EGR for throttle surge issues, but the ISC? yes Chris I just read up on the FIAV blockoff on vfaq so I understand that. But can you elaborate more on the purpose of the complete blockoff? Thanks.

The ISC basically gives you temp dependant idle changes. Good for a normal car I would think but I don't need it anymore. I"ll set the idle for warmed up and just crack the throttle a bit to get it warmed up when it's cold. Now the only idle controls will be the BISS and ECU. Much simpler for my purposes. Plus I've got no AC and PS is soon to go. My latest quest is to eliminate everything I don't need on this car so If/When I go to a standalone it will be easier and the car gets faster to work on when I break. Probably not what everyone is after.

I wanted to keep my ISC so I used the "jb weld" method of blocking off the FIAV.

After getting the 5 screws out(I used an impact driver and still stripped two) pop the freeze plug out by hitting it a couple times.

5 screws and the freeze plug is marked in red
img.php

Put a flate plate over the side that sandwiches to the other half of the TB and hold it there while you fill the channel full of jb weld through the hole where the freeze plug was. It should look like this when you're done.
img.php

img.php

Hold or clamp the flat plate in place until the jb weld cures(tip: use jb-quick cure)and then put the freeze plug back if you want. I left it out. Then if you want you can clean the throttle body with a little carb cleaner and reinstall. Rock solid idle baby
headbang.gif
YEAH!!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts