The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FEELER: Gauging interest in CF bits

ducttapeguy

Now before you guys get all heated over another carbon fiber thread read the rest of this post.

This is NOT a group buy thread. Again NOT a group buy.

I work with a guy whos hobby is making carbon fiber stuff. He has been predominately in the sport bike market but is looking to branch out into the car and truck market. He is an E6 in my company and a stand up guy.

I have been talking to him recently about getting him to make me a CF hood and trunk. He said it was very doable and it sounds like its going to be done at cost(roughly $500 from what he told me). No profit, just breaking even. I am providing a stock hood for a mold and we will then be cutting it and making a mold with a GT500 style vent. I do not have JDM hood vents to try to get a mold made that way, so this is the route Im taking. That means there will already be molds made for a stock hood and a vented hood. I also have a wingless trunk that I am going to give him for a mold. So that will be available as well. He also says that he can make damn near anything out of CF so Im going to look into getting A pillar trim and headliner trim molds made. I know these parts are brittle and break often and are getting harder to source. He might even be able to do integrated gauge pods in the A pillar trim. I dont know for sure. The possibilities may be limitless. And just so yall know I wont be buying these and trying to sell them for a profit or anything of the sort. Just trying to make some cool stuff available to the community.

Anyway, this isnt a group buy thread or a for sale thread. Just a feeler to see how much interest there is in this right now. There would be no sending your parts in for molds and never getting them back or anything like that. Just letting yall know that there is an option available for carbon bits for our cars now.

I will be getting a hood and a trunk as time and funding permits. These parts will be done on a case by case basis with a few weeks for completion. This is his hobby and he must also work around the Armys schedule. I told him that there might be a market in this community. So post up if you are interested. Once again I must reiterate that this is not a FS or GB ad. There will be no discounts for multiple orders. All of it is being done for the cost of materials. I dont have any pics of his work right now but I will be going to his shop next weekend to drop off my parts and I will try to snap some pics and post up his work.

If yall have any special requests please post them up as well. I have a complete VR4 nearby that is getting stripped down for a rebuild so most parts are available to be used to make molds

Mods, if this is in the wrong spot please feel free to move it. Thanks for your time everyone. Please dont flame too hard

Tyler

Jesus_Negros

YES! this should be awesome. Cant wait to see the awesomeness of a .Org CF group buy!

unistylef

The 2013 gt500 vent looks neat.

cheekychimp

Tyler,

Seeng as you are looking at doing the headliner trim, does that VR4 you are porting have the rear window headliner trim. All mine are as wavy as hell after years in the sun. Any chance of sourcing one in decent condition and getting a couple of carbon fibre copies made. Hopefully the carbon will stand up to the heat a bit more and being behind the glass shouldn't deteriorate as a result of exposure to UV light.

Paul.

91_427

I'd be interested in all the pillars in carbon fiber especially an a pillar with gauge pods, and all the headliner trim as well.

ktmrider

Lots of interest, me included, especially for hood ( Furd GT cutout ).

If he fabs products w/o asking for deposits, ie we can see the finished item(s) and quality is there, sales will definitely be robust.

Drew84

Pillar trims would be nice, could always paint over them gray if you don't like the raw carbon. I would like a 1g DSM pop up head light hood in Carbon, those are super hard to find.

citymunky

What does being a E6 have to do with anything? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

I love how you mentioned not a group buy multiple time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Jesus_Negros

Quoting citymunky:
What does being a E6 have to do with anything? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Means a lot. Hes a upstanding american citizen who should be trusted by us all duh.

Last edited by a moderator:

jnava

Staff member
KTM said it best.

slowpoke

I would like a stock mold hood, trunk, and a 1ga talon hood

Jesus_Negros

Ill bite, carbon fibre dash and seat rails.

bobdole

I would take a trunk. Can it be drilled for the stock wing?

Galantvr4559

I would do a pillar cf with gauge holes and a cf hood. Sou d like this guy is cool as sh*t doing this for no profit. Great idea cant wait to see some pics of completed parts.

EHmotorsports

Radio trim or cover panel would be nice. Also AMG style grill.

ducttapeguy

Sweet. Im glad there is a lot of interest in this. Lots of cool ideas too. The dash is gonna be a pain in the ass to get out. Lol

I also want you guys to know that this is going to be a case by case thing. It's all going to take a fair amount of time to make each piece due to schedules and making molds and what not. I will be seeing him during the week next week and I will let him know there is a ton of interest in lots of different parts. I will continue to check this post and look for new ideas. I will also get pics of his work asap and find out if he is going to require a deposit. I will definitely keep yall posted

Tyler

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts