The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fan resistor removal

I am running a Davies craig radiator fan i am wondering i if anyone has removed the fan resistor to get more flow.
My gvr4 overheats on 45 degree + days with a\c on when in traffic.buy turning a\c off cools down.
all fans work properly and seems to be a flow problem any experiences apreciated.

curtis

Im not sure how the aussy cars are wired but for your USDM cars there is a thermo switch on the back side of the thermostat housing that is there for emergencies. It kicks the fans into full speed if the car gets too hot. Just pull the wire from it if you have it and wire it up to a switch to complete the ground circuit. Mine is hook to a economy/ power switch from an automatic car. The switch fits into the center console were the bullshit change compartment once was. I ran a wire from the switch to the wire from the thermo switch and ran a wire from the switch to the body of the car under the center console. If I see that its getting hot I just hit the button to kick on both fans full blast.

I found a bit of a pic relating to it i didnot relise it was a 2 speed arangmeent the resistor only works on the low speed fan i dont think either of my high speeds are working sorry i snagled it acrobate so user unfriendly.
radiator%20fan.bmp

496of2000

FYI, you don't have to remove the resistor to turn both fans on high. If you ground the coolant temp/ switch at B-22-4 both fans will kick in on high.
I'd do some maintenance first, flush the system, new cap, check the waterpump weeping hole for leaks. The stock radiator is big enough on the vr-4 for cooling.

Ive been running aroung thinking 110deg on datalogger was ok
shocked.gif
so i earthed b 224 drove around and it ran at 100deg to 89deg so i have ordered both radiator fan switches from mitsu i think my thermostat my have boiled out but i will wait and see with new switches there is nothing on my cooling system which is less than 1year old except for switches this may have been an underlying problem for years all cars should have a data logger they are essential.

radiator low speed fan resistor was open circut i found after buying both the switches for $200 bloody hell.the blue wire going down to resistor was open circut at the little shunt fuse down there i resoldered it i think ive done it before been years though.never over look the obvious.

So that resistor assembly that bolts to the fan support does do more than just resist? There is a thermostat switch in it as well? I wondered about that when I was putting in a new radiator and spal fan that came pre-installed. I did go ahead and move the resistor pack over just in case. I know the question is answered within the rhuns of that electrical schematic above but my literacy in regard to electrical schematics is pretty much limited to the battery/lightbulb and crystal radio diagrams of my youth.
grin.gif

OK...after a second look it looks like there is a thermal sensor in the cooling fan resistor housing but not in the AC fan housing? That right?

a/c fan runs low speed constantly whenever compressor is on .Both fans have a resistor on low speeds this is how low speed is achieved if the resistor is open circut the fan will not turn at all until 102deg is reached at the thermostat housing earth switch or 258 psi with a/c on.this will switch both fans on bypassing both resistors therefore full speed.

Hertz

Staff member
What does B-22-4 look like in the car -- where is it in relation to the sensor housing? I'm confused by the myriad of temperature sensors.

quote:Originally posted by Hertz:
What does B-22-4 look like in the car -- where is it in relation to the sensor housing? I'm confused by the myriad of temperature sensors. And I'm confused by the myriad of your posts.
grin.gif

Theres also a temp sensor on the bottom of radiator.I have yet to figure out what that one does.Way too many temp sensors

Cruce

Hertz

Staff member
quote:Originally posted by TOF:
quote:Originally posted by Hertz:
What does B-22-4 look like in the car -- where is it in relation to the sensor housing? I'm confused by the myriad of temperature sensors. And I'm confused by the myriad of your posts.
grin.gif
May all your stock IC pipes split in places you cannot see.
tongue.gif

Too late, Ryan...they already did.
grin.gif
Thats why half my IC plumbing consists of sections of 240sx exhaust pipe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts