The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fan override switch

turbowop

What would be the easiest way to tackle this? I want stock radiator fan functionality retained for both my AC (pusher) and radiator (puller). I'm going to install a 180* thermostat so I just want to wire in a switch to flip the fans on when in stop/go traffic or waiting in the staging lanes at the track. My coolant temps are perfectly normal for a stock car, but I'd like to get them down a bit during those driving conditions. I'm sure all I have to do is run a wire to the fan relays, but I'm not sure if I should go to the relays or to some random wire under the hood that's maybe easier to access. Anybody else done this?

Jason G.

IIRC, the single wire sensor on the back side of the t-stat housing closest to the cylinder head will run both fans when grounded.
Maybe wire in a switch there?

brisvr4

^^ correct. I use an old power/economy switch in the console to activate mine. It also runs both fans on high.

mitsuturbo

Quoting Jason G.:
IIRC, the single wire sensor on the back side of the t-stat housing closest to the cylinder head will run both fans when grounded.

This is precisely what i'd do. If you're worried about the factory function of that temp switch, leave it plugged in, and simply tap in a wire that will go to switch. Wire the switch to ground. Enjoy.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting Jason G.:

... fwiw, this will also kick off the a/c compressor

turbowop

I went and looked in the engine bay. Rather than run a wire all the way to the thermostat housing to tap that wire, is there a place closer to the fuse box under the hood that it's accessible? I did pull that wire off the switch to confirm that it turns on both fans when grounded, so I just need to find a closer place to tap into it.

misterfixit

From the a/c compressor controller.

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts