The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Face Plated gear sets from Liberty Transmission

GSTwithPSI

Long story short, I need a transmission. I had a rude awakening at the track last night, and need some info from you guys who are running the faceplated gear sets from Liberty. Mainly, I'm looking to figure out what the total cost would be, and how the process with Liberty works (assuming you send them the cluster?). Also, any info on assembly, disassembly, and the rebuild process would be awesome.

LIV4PSI

I plan on doing it as well. I think EMX and BlackVR4 are the only two guys running one here. Justin had around $2k in his when it was all said and done. That was with the metal enhancements, other parts, etc

Liberty takes a couple months for turn around time I believe

EMX5636

Yay! I love Liberty threads! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Craig is close, but that 2k included everything to re-assemble (bearings/seals/4 spider/etc). It's like $750-775 out the door for standard 1-4 setup. I also got some metal enhancements which increased the cost to around $1k plus shipping. Shot peening, micro-polishing, etc. I don't remember if I went for the Cryo or not sorry.

If you just want the regular setup, just send them 1 and 2 off the intermediate shaft, and 3/4 from the input shaft (the removable gears obviously). I also sent my input and intermediate shafts, and the center diff housing to have the metal enhancements done to them as well. They will machine off, and weld on their dog rings, and custom machine a 1/2 and 3/4 hub and sleeve.

Assembly isn't much different than standard, except I run a heavier 75w140 Motul fluid to help cushion and protect the gears and dog teeth. It was recommended to me by PPG, and Magnus for a transmission with both dog engagement, and synchro (5th and reverse).

Last edited:

dime2nr

So this makes the standard gear set essentially a dogbox correct? Would this allow for clutchless up shifts even though liberty doesnt recommend it.

curtis

EMX5636

Clutchless upshifts yes, but you still need to interrupt power for a split second somehow. Either a very slight tap of the clutch, a slight lift of the throttle, or incorporating an ignition cut/limit etc.

And Curtis, you would be surprised how crisp and normal you can shift it when you get the hang of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif Also, that's about exactly how my trans shifts at WOT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

diambo4life

I would be interested in this. I have two spare trannies sitting here and the car is down for a short block rebuild. Hmmmmmmmm...

MellowVR4

I've never heard of these liberty transmissions??? makes your trans a dogbox style? kinda confused... could someone explain please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

LIV4PSI

Yes Mellow. Its removes the syncros and they modify to stock gears with a dog engagement.

But its not as good as a PPG dogbox, because the weak stock gears are still being used.

MellowVR4

I see, thanks man.

G

Staff member
These are supposed to be really good if you can work with evo 3 parts. click

EMX5636

G, those Albins setups are awesome, but cost is on par with PPG and PAR (last I checked). This is the only low-cost alternative that I've seen available.

G

Staff member
I wonder how involved it would be to get access to this gear to see if you have these cuts? click Would it be as easy as removing a cover & using an inspection mirror?

EMX5636

I used an early 90 Trans from my old Eclipse. Uses the early style gearsets which from what I gather on the Evo123 board, are supposed to be slightly stronger. I have no engineering proof to back this up however. The ratios and everything are the same, just the profile and angle of the teeth is different. One thing I do notice a bit (could be entirely in my head) is 3rd and 4th gear seem to have a hint of whine, similar to a straight cut gear. Definitely not to that extent, but I can hear it vaguely. I can't recall ever noticing it before, but never paid attention either. The other benefit was I still have my 91 VR4 trans to swap back in for whatever reason.

EMX5636

Oh! One thing I forgot. I am also using the 90 bellhousing for the shorter shifter arms. If you do this, you must, MUST build stops into your shifter. Otherwise you will find the weak links quickly because of over-throwing the forks/rails. First is usually OEM aluminum forks, then the shift rail, then the cables. It's not hard to do, I can show pics of what I did for anyone interested. BlackVR4 did them as well in his DSM, and might have some pics as well. I have done them to all style shifters, VR4/DSM, 90 style DSM, and 3KGT short shifters. In fact I really recommend them, as well as a firm pedal stop, in any DSM/VR4/EVO. Shifter feels much more positive.

EMX5636

click

The 90 DSM and 3kGT shifters are pretty simple. Just drill and tap so it contacts the pin in the middle of the arm.

The 91-up DSM and VR4 need tabs welded onto the shifter, then drilled and tapped.

click

click

click

Also note, these are for my personal car, so pardon the "plain" hardware. If they were customer jobs, they would get pretty SS Cap head bolts, or carbon fiber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts