The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Extremely slow response across entire site

socalgvr4

All the links never resolve, and time out to blank pages.

A ping test to the FQDN - galantvr4.org shows good response, so it doesnt appear the site is inaccesible.

However something internal to the site is very broken. Could be queries to the database.

As before some one needs to check Apache error logs, or mysql or whatever db your using.

Maybe disk space issues again on the hosting end???

evo8ya

Its been super slow for me when first logging on after that it seems abit better I guess. Took a couple minutes just to post this

belize1334

Been hit-and-miss with me. Sometimes it comes right up and other times it lags forever. If it hangs long enough I get a pop-up window asking if I want to download "ubthreads.galantvr4.org which is a php file" or something to that effect.

Hertz

Staff member
I appreciate everyone's patience with this situation. I have been hopeful that it would get straightened out on the host side but things aren't looking good.

We've taken a number of steps that have been helpful in the past but the results have been in vain. Most recently I migrated the database to another server (they are randomly assigned when a new database is created) but it did not result in a permanent improvement.

The issue is related to the disk access and wait times relative to the database. The database and the site/pages/code are different servers. One is fast, the other is not. This is why you'll see the home page quickly, it is static. The Who's Online page loads quickly because its database content is in-memory. When you hit a page that requires searching the database, we get sometimes excessive wait times.

We've had the same host for probably 5 or 6 years and issues like this were typically just temporary. This time its been an issue for weeks.

Moving to another host is an option but it is a laborious process. I'd like to make certain that its worth it before committing. As a money saving option we have prepaid our hosting and it is unclear if the refund would be favorable.

A senior member has offered to give us some space on a well managed server and we are actively exploring that option.

We try to do a lot on a small budget and my overall goal has been ensuring the long-term viability of the site. Given that our numbers will reduce and we will never run advertisements, eventually our meager donations will cease to be enough to support the site at the levels that you expect and we have historically delivered. Long-term viability means being frugal and maintaining reserves. We've done this by not overspending on hosting.

Those who tell us about how fast their site is, what they pay, etc., need to keep in mind that we serve about 600 million pages to 60,000 unique visitors per month. Roughly 2 million database queries per hour.

Although we're not on the cheapest plan, we are on the cheapest form of hosting, and that's shared hosting. We are always doing battle with other sites on the shared servers for the same resources.

There are steps that can be taken to be more efficient with our resources, and most have been done already, just short of improving the way the original board software queries the database. We will work towards optimizing this in the long-term.

For now I just want everyone to understand that we're doing our best with our limited time and resources and I thank those of you have come forward with assistance already.

ken inn

i think it's racial

Nijasan

I can also lend a hand when it comes to hosting and solving these kind of problems. Don't hesitate to PM me or email me ( nparker7 at yahoo com ) if the need arises.

This is the first time I have been able to load the site in a week. I try two or three times a day.

dsmtalontsi95

Not another word about it. It may go back. Just say thank you. Thank you

Quoting talontyme:
Time to have a telethon lol.

Hell yeah! Wikipedia raised 16 million in about a month, lets see if we can top that.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting mitsuturbo:
What the HELL is going on? The forum has been in a usable state for nearly AN HOUR!!

Can you not read?

4orced4door

Quoting Hertz:
I appreciate everyone except Mitsuturbo's patience with this situation.

fixed

4orced4door

It's moving the fastest I've seen it in weeks at the moment.

dmj

Let us all make a donation $10-20 each x 200+ active members should help get this site moving. I am hooked to this forum like a crackhead.I get my daily fix here.

SmoothCustomer

Quoting turbowop:
I guess sarcasm doesn't come across well for Mitsuturbo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Sheesh.

My favorite part is that I'm sarcastic/hyperbolic constantly in cru and he rarely understands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts