The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Experience With Full Galant Restorations?

sixsixtwo

This thread is mainly for information gathering for the future of my Galant. Chances are I wouldn't have the chance to do this for the next few years, but I have yet to find a very comprehensive thread on the subject, so I figure this thread might help out other members as well. Has anyone on the board had much experience with full restorations of their car? My Galant is in pretty good shape, but it does have some rust in the rocker areas hidden under the sideskirts, etc. I'm planning on keeping my Galant for quite a while, so if I decide to restore it, I want to get it done right the first time. What experiences do you guys have with successfully repairing the rust; acid-dipping or media-blasting? And roughly how much did it cost you to have it all done? I know that it won't be cheap, but that's okay because I'm not looking for a temporary fix! Thanks in advance guys.

Muskrat

What your talking about is pretty general information, nothing really Galant specific.

Try doing some Google searches (I'm guessing you probably have, but just in case). There's a lot of info out there on car restoration.

The Media Blasting vs. Acid Dip debate has been played out all over.

As far as parts go. There's plenty of doner bodies out there. Very few parts are GVR-4 specific. Most of them plastic.

DR1665

Very much appreciate your desire to fully restore one of these cars from the ground up one day. I'd like to do that as well.

bustedsm

Take a look at my build thread to get an idea on some basic ideas for restoration. Should give you an idea on where to start or where to go if you ever get stuck.

fivestardsm

Last edited:

Terry Posten

This is my opinion only but find a rust free shell if your going to do a complete job. It will save you thousands of dollars and tons of time if you do.

This job is not that hard. 1 person can take a car down to the shell in about a week of evenings if you stay on it. The real problem is that some parts are NLA.

Take the door rubber and window belt trim. Only half of it can be sourced new and if you wait for another year or two, that will be gone as well.

For the comment about donor shells, you must start with a VR4 or GSX chassis. The floor pan is not the same as the standard FWD platforms.

Good luck, my partial tear-down and resto was hard enough. I am still looking for a mint set of 92 tail lights.

sixsixtwo

Thanks for the reply guys. I understand that a full restoration plus rust repair will likely be quite expensive. I would find another shell, but I am reluctant because I bought my Galant at the ripe old age of 17, and since then I've put in countless hours of labor on it. At some point or another, I've torn apart pretty much every part of the car. I just keep thinking how badass it would be to have my FIRST car twenty years from now, of course fully restored. Plus, how many shells that are on the market are TRULY rust free? Does anyone done successful rust repair on their vehicles? I'm thinking mainly of cutting out rusted metal and shaping new metal to fit.

sixsixtwo

To bustedsm, I've checked out your build several times, and I'm really impressed, good work! I like what you did with the engine back and the subframes/control arms. Again, the biggest reason for stripping it down would be for peace of mind regarding the underside of the car and under the panels. It would make me sleep so well at night to know that my Galant isn't slowly being eaten from the inside out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Pictures are always appreciated!

Muskrat

Quoting Terry Posten:

For the comment about donor shells, you must start with a VR4 or GSX chassis. The floor pan is not the same as the standard FWD platforms.

Good point. I was thinking rockers and strut towers when I posted that.

SleepinGVR4

When I rebuilt my Galant, I did a lot of pre-rust maintenance. Since I owned one that started to rust pretty bad I knew where the problem rust places were.

One thing I'm really glad I did was remove both of the fenders and treat the corners that are by the doors. I got one of those 3-M abrasive wheels and removed the surface rust and paint. I then got one of POR-15's kits and followed the directions very carefully. I used the cleaner, the prep chemical and the self etching chemical and then used the POR-15 and one of their top coats. Since there is body trim that goes over the fender right there I didn't even have it painted and you can't even see it. I also did this to all 4 fenders and some of the trunk, and other misc places.

THEKID

i am in the middle of a full frame off restoration and let me just warn you it's not cheap. i could have bought a m3 for the money iv put into this car already. but it would not be the g ride these cars need a lot of love and time.

build thread

fivestardsm

It is a full frame off Mark, He pulled it off the "sub frames" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

THEKID

sorry wop yea i meant the sub frames. should have known you were going to get me for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned