The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Exhaust system options

Gtpdz

So I'm really getting tired of the full 3 inch exhuast that came with the car, right now it has only a glass pack resonator and a straight through glass pack muffler. Not bad at city cruising but high way speed the drone is just terrible...

So whats the option here? Getting a baffled resonator/muffler?

Or any chance out here someone still have a stock set?

Or should i just pull the trigger and build a smaller piping one from scratch?

I am planning to make it more daily driven friendly, not looking for power figures.

Thanks

idreamidrive

I have not, but I just saw that Good-win-racing.com is selling some for the NC miata that reduced the drone by 50db. click

I thought it was interesting suggestion to try out. I guess you need computers and sound equipment to figure it out though.

galantgti

How about a varex muffler in between? Those are available with remote controlled valves, so you can adjust the valve (and sound) while driving around and without even getting out of the car.

KiNgMaRtY

You could call RRE and ask them for one of their resonators. They don't tapper inside, they are a full 3". I have one resonator and their Magnaflow muffler that they use, and I feel my car is way to quiet.

tektic

I'd love to try one of those chamberd resonators. I should probably start with a real muffler though.

ApexHunter

2nd the RRE exhaust. They are quiet, and they perform well.

The placement of the resonator(s) is pretty important to eliminating cabin drone. Consider putting your resonator in the same location that the manufacturer uses, is a good starting point.

We've been busy at work developing a drone-free version of one our systems that utilizes large diameter piping...and on an NA engine no less, so no turbo to help quiet things down. Fun stuff.

desant78

Also check out synapse. They sell a variety of Helmholtz resonators.

Coltsfan

If you just add a 2" restrictor to your tailpipe it will make a world of difference. I had restrictors in my dual outlet muffler on my Colt that were held in by stainless steel screws so I could easily remove them at the track.

Eventually I got tired of having to do stuff: I put a throttle plate in one of my dual tailpipes, and mounted an old vacuum advance actuator on top of my muffler. I ran a length of air shock hose from the manifold to the muffler actuator and viola! One tailpipe is closed unless manifold pressure is zero or above.

prove_it

Quoting Gtpdz:
So I'm really getting tired of the full 3 inch exhuast that came with the car, right now it has only a glass pack resonator and a straight through glass pack muffler. Not bad at city cruising but high way speed the drone is just terrible...

So whats the option here? Getting a baffled resonator/muffler?

Or any chance out here someone still have a stock set?

Or should i just pull the trigger and build a smaller piping one from scratch?

I am planning to make it more daily driven friendly, not looking for power figures.

Thanks

PM coming about my 2.5in CMPE exhaust, catback no muffler.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned