The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Exhaust Manifold Gasket

I recently seafoamed my whip and noticed that my exhaust manifold gasket leaks ; ALOT!!!

so bought a new one and I am looking for some pointers and maybe a few pictures on how to take the manifold off.

I am a mechanic so I do have an idea how to do it...obviously but I am looking for some insight on how to make my life a lot easier.

I checked VFAQ and they have a lot of helpful info for those of that a NT 4G63

but not for the 4G63T

let know if any of you guys can H.A.B.O.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

mikus

First you need to tackle the head stud nuts.

You're fortunate that the car runs - soak the ever-loving sh*t out of the mani to head stud nuts with PB blast for the next week, once a day (spray them maybe 30min before a drive each day if it's possible) You'll be glad you did. Beyond that you need:
- various wrenches to get at them - angles are tight, flex head wrenches are hugely helpful here. You'll be going inbetween the runners for some bolts.
- to put new hardware on, at least nuts, maybe new studs. Search the forum to see options. Go at LEAST oem nuts.

Just dive in and take those off, you don't need pics for this. If a head stud came out with the nut, that's OK... If a head stud broke, you're going to need to drill in and back it out. This is why the PB blast.

Now, once the mani is seperated from the head frankly I don't recall if you can squeeze teh new gasket in, I've only pulled the whole turbo assembly. Somebody chime in on this? If not, the 4 turbo-manifold bolts have tehir own challenges.

conradical

I just pulled mine off to replace the manifold and yes the use of PB is a must! Just start taking the nuts off I dont think you need to remove them in any type of patern. The only bolt that will give you a problem is the last bolt on the bottom of the drivers side. you'll have to take off the the power stearing pump. Just remove the bolts off the pump and move it off to the side, you wont have to drain the fluid out or anything. Then remove the pumps braket and you can then get to the last bolt. Once you get those bolts off you should be able to move the manifold forward enough to remove the gasket. If not just take off the four bolts holding the turbo on and the manifold will come free and replace the gasket. I recommend getting a copper gasket they are better and will last a hell of a lot longer. You can get one at DSMparts.com for $35. This should fix your leak. Good luck.

Thanks for the info fellas. I will give it a shot within the few days.
I might as well replace the belts if I am gonna have the power steering pump off

Terry Posten

Yes, do not use a composite gasket, get an all metal ones. I also sprayed all exhaust/turbo/O2 gaskets with copper gasket spray.

If all you are doing is replacing the head to manifold gasket, do not mess with the turbo or O2 bolts/gaskets. More room for broken bolts and more work for you.

Use new hardware wherever possible. It is my opinion but those studs take an insane amount of abuse, get OEM parts from JNZ Tuning and do it right.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned