The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Exhaust discussion.

coyotes

Ok so, here is my current setup:

16g
megan o2 housing
3" custom turboback to 3" high flow cat to 3" magnaflow muffler

I get a lot of drone over 3k rpms and the exhaust is just loud in general. I am looking for suggestions on how to quiet it down, looking for a resonator brand someone has experience with for good sound or other input. The sound is good but it's just too loud for me.

Jesus_Negros

Blitz brah

tek_88

Drone is most likely from your magnaflow. I had a magnaflow on my galant and it droned like crazy. Switched it out to a Greddy Evo2 (all I had at the moment) and the drone went away significantly. But if you are looking for a good resonator, Vibrant makes some good ones.

cheekychimp

^^^ I tend to agree. I don't have any specific experience with the magnaflow mufflers but in my experience the size of the exhaust, stock, 2.5 inch or 3 inch doesn't normally affect 'drone'. I got my 2.5" exhaust to drone perfectly well with an HKS bullet muffler and the exact same exhaust is quite sociable with a different muffler fitted.

Last edited:

Vader

I've never been a huge fan of magnaflow mufflers for this very reason. I've experienced them on many occasions with different 3in setups on various cars. Most of them just seem to have that drone...I'm a big fan of borla personally, I just put a custom full 3in exhaust on #221 capped off with a borla and it sounds mean, no resonance at all. Do you have a flex pipe anywhere in your setup? Exhaust all properly hung and supported? Not rubbing anywhere?

Jesus_Negros

Quoting coyotes:
this ain't a honduh, bruh

What's that even mean? Ever heard a v8 with a blitz nur spec muffler?
They make quality exhaust stuff that don't drone like magnaflow. And def sounds good on 4g63t cars.

Come'on homie.

Jesus_Negros

Don't recommend him Greddy or HKS this aint no honda

transparentdsm

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
blitz nur spec muffler?
They make quality exhaust stuff that don't drone like magnaflow. And def sounds good on 4g63t cars.

Come'on homie. [/quote

i ha one of these on my old 1G and it sounded amazing, just never wanted to pay the blitz price for another one.

turbohf

i have a 3" magnaflow on both my galant and integra. cant say one is any louder than the other... until the wastegate opens, then the integra is loud as sh*t (only 13psi so it seems open a lot). never really noticed a drone in either car unless on decel.

turbowop

I've run Thermal, Dynomax, and now Magnaflow. ALL SOUND SAME. All were straight through mufflers. Not sure any would sound different without adding a resonator or two forward of the muffler.

92_talon_awd

Quoting transparentdsm:
here you go, click

That's a pretty cool idea, built in cut out type muffler. The site is pretty funny thought, suggesting the cigarette lighter for power, "hold up, let me plug my exhaust in" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
I had an Apexi 3" on my 1g, sounded great and wasn't too much drone.

Last edited:

manikbastrd

I have noticed a nice exhaust note from the dual outlet CMPE muffler. i think it is a rebadged magnaflow, but it sounds better than 724 did with the same setup an a 3" single outlet.

coyotes

Thanks for the input everyone. I will probably just throw on a resonator and see how things go.

Can mufflers get old? Mine is used but no idea how old it is. I wonder if replacing it would improve things also.

The only mufflers I've heard that sound like garbage on a 4g63 are flowmasters.

ade

i've got a 14" resonator no cat and a 16" dual outlet magnaflow on 1052, 3" from turbo to muffler. it turned out to be a lot quieter than i expected but man does it drone.

BpuVR4

for what it's worth, i had a Blitz unit on my first VR4, a Greddy on the 2nd and currently rocking a Thermal one piece...they all sounded great when the car was running great. The Thermal was the quietest I think.

BpuVR4

Quoting coyotes:
The only mufflers I've heard that sound like garbage on a 4g63 are flowmasters.

why would one try?

xuberantz

I have a completely stock muffler on 161 with an electric cutout right before the rear turn. It has straight 2.5'' from the o2 housing back with no catalytic converter. Quiet with you want it or loud - pick your poison... I am however considering pulling the full 3'' (custom 3'' tubular o2 housing) off my 1g talon to use instead. The talon has a magnaflow muffler and I didn't notice that much drone with it, but I guess I never drive it much. It sounds much better then the 2.5'' on my Galant with the cutout open.

GSTwithPSI

A 3" turbo back system is going to be loud no matter what muffler you put on the end IMO. My CMPE system is pretty loud, but then again I'm getting old and think my welded diff is harsh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hs.gif . A CAT is usually what I'd recommend to quiet the system down a bit, but you already have one. Honestly, I don't think there's much you'll be able to do to quiet it down. I think you'd probably be better off adding sound damping material to the interior/floorboard rather than dicking with resonators and such.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned