The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO Brake Caliper Bracket - Gone?

IncorpoRatedX

I've been looking for the brake caliper brackets to put evo brakes on our cars, i thought garfield was selling them, buuuuuut, cant find them, unless i've lost my mind and the 3kgt calipers work?

Any input is helpful, couldn't seem to find much searching.

3rdstrikedsm

There was a guy on dsmlink forums selling them a while back.

IncorpoRatedX

Found those threads, couldnt find him actually selling them.

4thStroke

I also seem to remember Garfield working on these brackets, but I haven't heard anything about them as of late.

This is coming along a lot slower than I would like due to other things taking priority. I'm very close but not done & have put this on the back burner for a while.

IncorpoRatedX

I'll be honest...

I'm just going to buy a set and copy them and then sell a couple sets really cheap to offset my cost of aquisition/materials, then release the cad file so others can get their own cut. if i dont copy them im just going to design my own set, I think it's completely retarded that people are charging over $100 for an L shaped bracket with 4 holes in it, even if a step needs to be machined into it.

I've got access to a laser and I've got a mill in my garage. If you're down for some open source Garfield; please post up the specs on the brackets if you dont mind, if not that's fine. Not trying to offend anyone, i think i remember your kits coming with the correct bolts and some other nice things that ease in the installation. Some of us are resourceful and have no need for kits like this.

AnotherNewb

You should move your production to china like everyone else too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

IncorpoRatedX

I'll get right on that, I know a couple manufacturing companies based there.

GSX_TC

Quoting Garfield Wright:
This is coming along a lot slower than I would like due to other things taking priority. I'm very close but not done & have put this on the back burner for a while.

can u let us know or make a thread on these whenever you finish it? i really wanna put EVO brembos on my car

beaner

Josh, just make your own to produce if you're going to do that. KMV is the guy on tuners/talk doing the brackets and is really involved in the project, revising and revising to get them perfect. You're not paying for the piece of metal, you're paying for him to figure out all the bullshit.

I'm currently deciding which direction to go with my brake upgrade while the suspension is all apart. The problem is the rear. There's no bracket available because the e-brake design is completely different for 1g's/gvr4s. For 2gs it's basically a bolt on. I think it's the first mod I've ever seen where it's beneficial to have a 2g instead of a 1g/gvr4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Because of this, I might just go with the 3kgt stuff and save the headache and $$. In the interest of keeping the system more balanced, I'm upgrading all 4 or none. Awesome fronts and sh*t rears makes zero sense in my head performance-wise.

87829-0-0-0.jpg

^^ this is the only solution I've seen so far. I assume the stock caliper is just along for the ride with no fluid line or pads, there purely for the e-brake setup. It's not the best way cosmetically, but function > form.

DR1665

Quoting Alpha Male:
I'm just going to buy a set and copy them and then sell a couple sets really cheap to offset my cost of aquisition/materials, then release the cad file so others can get their own cut. if i dont copy them im just going to design my own set, I think it's completely retarded that people are charging over $100 for an L shaped bracket with 4 holes in it, even if a step needs to be machined into it.

Wow. Brazen.

Makes me wonder, if it's just "an L shaped bracke with 4 holes in it," what's stopping you from whipping up a set from scratch on that fancy equipment you've got in your garage?

And we wonder why quality shops like AMS decide to stop developing products for the DSM/GVR4 community...

mpt72

Some of us don't have the time or means to fabricate such things. I would much rather pay someone who is willing to do the R&D that goes into a project like this. I wouldn't trust someone who just slaps things together and says "it'll be cheaper than so and so". Especially when it comes to brakes. Just my .02

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting DR1665:
Quoting Alpha Male:

Wow. Brazen.

Makes me wonder, if it's just "an L shaped bracke with 4 holes in it," what's stopping you from whipping up a set from scratch on that fancy equipment you've got in your garage?

And we wonder why quality shops like AMS decide to stop developing products for the DSM/GVR4 community...

I like Garfield, i didnt want to deceive him. I dont plan on mass producing them, only selling a couple to recoup my money and i guarantee i could do it on tuners in the matter of a couple days.

I only asked for what info he had incase he was giving up on/long term postponing designing. i've got an evo caliper here so I can draw it up on my own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

beaner

If you really want to sell 'simple brackets' for extra coin to fund your project, just make the rear calipers work. I imagine you'd sell 50 sets at 100 bucks a pop. As for the fronts, that would be like redesigning and producing an alternator relocation bracket or something. Counter productive if you ask me.

GSX_TC

if someone would make these i would buy them for sure man

belize1334

Frankly I think the move to evo calipers is over-rated... especially with the inability to use the rears and the subsequent excessive front bias. In my opinion the calipers aren't the problem anyway. Sure they're floating and a quad piston design would be a little better on pedal feel, but in my opinion the real problem is our tiny rotors which don't dissipate heat well.

What I'd really like to see would be brackets to relocate the stock calipers outboard by about 1" in back and 1.5" in front. That'd give the car a little more forward bias and increase stopping power (for a given clamp load) by about 10%. But, most importantly, adding an inch or more to the "thick" part of the rotor would increase it's area by like 40% which would DRAMATICALLY increase it's ability to dissipate heat. And, best of all, there'd be no need to jig up a fancy ebrake 'cause the stocker would keep working fine!

JSchleim18

^^Jepherz did that on his car in regards to the rear brakes. He said he was having issues with the e-brake still but he was also running a 12.3" rear rotor. Stock is 10.4" or so. I was thinking of meeting somewhere in the middle of those numbers with the factory rear rotor size from a 3000GT VR-4. This was when I was going to go to a 3000GT VR-4 front setup. Check out my thread on adjusting brake bias for some calculations I did for an ideal setup.

And I agree...the Evo Brembo's are not worth it. It adds too much front brake bias.

Whoodoo

If you can sort out the cables, swapping a pair of 3000GT VR-4 trailing arms in back will get you the drum-style e-brake. I can't wait to get my car here in NY so I can get moving again on my suspension/brake project (full 3KGT front and rear W/ trailing arms).

JB

Quoting Alpha Male:
I only asked for what info he had incase he was giving up on/long term postponing designing. i've got an evo caliper here so I can draw it up on my own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So why dont you design it yourself instead of copying someone elses design/work for a quick buck? :rolleyes:

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting JSchleim18:
^^Jepherz did that on his car in regards to the rear brakes. He said he was having issues with the e-brake still but he was also running a 12.3" rear rotor. Stock is 10.4" or so. I was thinking of meeting somewhere in the middle of those numbers with the factory rear rotor size from a 3000GT VR-4. This was when I was going to go to a 3000GT VR-4 front setup. Check out my thread on adjusting brake bias for some calculations I did for an ideal setup.

And I agree...the Evo Brembo's are not worth it. It adds too much front brake bias.

Yeah, I've been really happy with the rear setup I have, and it compliments the front Camaro upgrade really well (Per calculations by user Luke), plus the E brake still works. Schleim pretty much summed up the benefits.

To the OP: " I dont plan on mass producing them, only selling a couple to recoup my money and i guarantee i could do it on tuners in the matter of a couple days. "

Recouping his costs is all Garfield is doing. Considering there is mounting hardware (probably $10 worth depending on where you can even buy the hardened fasteners), cost in good steel material ($5-10) and machine time (probably still $20 if you have enough cut), that really only leaves him $60 for his own time. That's not really much...

I have no problem with what you're doing (assuming you create your own design yourself and cut them yourself) but I wouldn't call $100 a rip off by any means. Time=money.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts