The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

evo 9 fmic

Boos929

soo i can get a 06 evo 9 mr intercooler for cheap was wondering if anyone makes a piping kit or if anyone has used one of these and can give me a idea in what i have to do to make it work

EMX5636

Here is a web page with modified stock piping. Someone used to make a piping kit on here, but I'll have to look for it.

Last edited:

rdomeck

matt92vr4

rdomeck, I have my EVO9 intercooler sitting in the garage and hope to install it sometime soon. I'd like to go into it on a Friday night and have everything I need to finish the job over the weekend. Currently I run all stock VR4 piping and hoses. The intercooler is black and will be hidden so I'd like to use as many OEM Mitsu parts as possible to make it look stock to the domestic guys.

My question is, what TB elbow are you using? If 2g, is it the same diameter as the EVO intercooler? What other stock Mitsu piping should I get my hands on before I start the project? Thank you.

-Matt

5OF2k

Honestly, I'd stay away from stock piping; its way too restrictive.

Dependant on your turbo setup, you should be running at least a staggered 2.0 hotside to 2.5 cold side charge piping. If you want stealth, bend it to follow the factory-ish routing and coat or paint it black and use black couplers(wrinkle black, for instance).

Hope that helps!

-Jake

matt92vr4

What size piping do you recommend with a 16g and evo9 ic?

matt92vr4

Thanks, anyone know the diameter of the 2g TB elbow and EVO9 i/c in and out? I'm sitting at work hoping to order some parts before I can get home and measure.

James

I look a while for a bolt on setup. Lucky I found one but it wasn't easy!

JamesFoster

All you really need to do is mock up the intercooler, and use some universal piping and couplers and make it work, it's easier to figure it out by just starting to see what works as opposed to trying to figure it all out before you touch the car. Just start tearing into it and you'll make it work.

Honestly the cheap universal ebay intercooler kits would do the trick.

matt92vr4

Yeah but I have to drive it home from work on a Friday night and then drive it back to work on Monday morning!

5OF2k

Quoting matt92vr4:
What size piping do you recommend with a 16g and evo9 ic?

20g, 16g and 14b cars LOVE 2.0hot side stepped to 2.5" cold side piping. Works the best for that, and honestly thatll suffice all the way up to your typical .60 a/r provided the core is efficient enough.

Hope that helps!

-Jake

TomN

Pretty sure inlet/outlet of Evo 9 intercooler is 2.5in. So I would use 2.5in pipes.
I always used 2.5in pipes on my fmic setups on my 16g cars. Pipes are easy to fab up your self. But some aluminum 2.5in 45 and 90 degree bends and some couplers. And get a 2.5in throttle body elbow or a 1g non turbo throttle body.

matt92vr4

Thanks guys! Boy you sure were right. The stock pipes are weaksauce. I'm messing with the car right now and measured the EVO9 i/c in and out are both at 2.5". The OD on the stock piping is smaller than the ID on the EVO9 i/c.

EVO9 I/C

Stock i/c hose elongated and measures 1.75" at the largest point

I guess my next question is, with a 16g, what do you guys do to step up the j-pipe coming out of the turbo? Thanks!

TomN

Buy a new jpipe that is bigger.

matt92vr4

Cool thanks! Didn't know they existed.

5OF2k

Im a fan of the stepped piping and what it does to the spool characteristics. It seems like it spools harderand hit full boost quicker, eliminates creep.

BUT, hey. There are always a million opinions on the same setup. Either way you decide to go will work!

-Jake

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned