The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 or 1g ignition timing?

bcjjones

Put an evo 8 ecu in my gvr4. I need to redo my ignition timing but im trying to figure out the best way. I cant go back to my 1g ecu anymore so im stuck trying with this one.

Basically should I just put it to 5 btdc? Also since the firing order is opposite id use the number four plug wire as the number one wire since the wires are swapped? If that makes since. And the curb idle plug is no use at all now because the evo 8 ecu doesnt recognize it?

Also, should I look up the 1g timing map and copy it over to the evo 8 ecu?

Any ideas on this guys?

prove_it

I would keep the evo timing map. It's a better map, less aggressive in areas too.

tyeler18

Definitely use the Evo 8 maps. The 1g/gvr4 maps are only "tuned" to 2 bar, the rest is all interpolated. Not at all uncommon to hit 20+ degrees of timing on 1g maps which is no bueno on stock pistons. The Evo maps if I remember right are tuned to 2.5-2.75 bar and then interpolated up to 3 bar, so your timing will be much safer below 21ish lbs of boost.

Also curious what you mean on the firing order needing swapped? I have an evo 8 ecu I've been trying to get to start on my gallant and didn't really read anywhere that it needed swapped around. I have done zero diagnosis as to why mine won't start, but this may solve my issue.

bcjjones

The firing order is swapped. Meaning number 1 on the stock 1g firing order is number 4 on the evo firing order. So basically the plug wires need to be swapped around.

I believe our stock firing order goes 4-3-2-1 looking at the motor
The Evo is 1-2-3-4 while looking at the motor, so they need to be swapped.

For anyone looking to do the base ignition timing, there is an option in evoscan for base timing in the actuator option at the bottom right. Click on it and its the same as grounding the curb idle plug under the hood. Then you just do the timing at 5 BTDC like normal.

tyeler18

Firing order is still 4-1-2-3 so it doesn't make a difference. Worst case scenario they will fire opposite direction they would on a DSM, which won't effect anything at all.

Wizardawd

Evo still used the same wasted spark setup, just moved the coil packs to the valve cover valley. Cylinders 1 and 4 fired at the same time, as did 2 and 3. So as long as you have those pairs grouped, no issues.

Wiz

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Firing order is 1-3-4-2.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned