The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 ecu clicks?

bcjjones

Got everything set up with the evo 8 ecu, the cars starts and runs great for about 5-10 seconds. Then the ecu clicks and its as if the air and or fuel cuts off and the car slowly does?

Anyone have this issue before?

EHmotorsports

Almost sounds like the mpi relay is turning off. Are you getting signal power from the ecu to the MPI circuit when in run mode? You will have to test with a DVOM.

bcjjones

Yea I was thinking that also, but no power to the mpi fuse would cause a no start. Unless I'm mistaken and unless somehow the mpi fuse is getting power on initial start up and then loosing power?

EHmotorsports

I would check to make sure you are getting power in run mode. and when I say run mode I mean after starting the car when the ignition switches to the on position.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

also did you ever have it running before you swapped the evo 8 ecu? were you having issues with the Original ecu?

bcjjones

No, the original ecu worked fine. Car still runs great if I switch it back. Once I get a min ill test power to the mpi fuse in the run position. I'm almost certain that's what it is

bcjjones

Okay so im still thinking its the mpi relay clicking off in the run position. I actually know it is, because when the car starts to die I can turn the ignition to start (not good for the starter I know) and it'll run for another second or two.

I have pin 38 on the evo ecu hooked up to both pin 63 and 66 on the 1g plug. Everything seems to have a good connection, but my question is when is the mpi fuse supposed to have power?

I have my test light and in the run position there is no power coming from pin 63 nor 66 from the 1g plug. I figured one was power while starting and the other was power while running. So I hooked up my test light and watched it as I started it. Still no power was shown to be present?

Am I testing this correctly, because obviously it is getting power during the cranking process?

jepherz

Staff member
You can put a jumper on the fuel pump test plug under the hood, which will run the pump regardless of the MPI relay state. If you start the car and it stays running with the jumper hooked up, you know that it's related to the MPI relay or the cam sensor not sending the "I'm running" signal to the ECU.

If you don't have your wiring figured out later this week, I'll see what wires I have hooked up on my evo ecu when I make it to my shop.

-Jeff

quato

did you use the wiring diagram that is posted in the how-to section? i used that on mine and it worked perfectly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned