The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO 3 radiator in your vr4

Anyone here using an evo-3 radiator in their galant vr4?

Aside from the overflow nipple on the filler neck being a different orientation and the temp sensor bung not being there (on some brands) the evo 3 radiator looks pretty close to being a direct fit.
my main worry is the mounting tabs being off.

If there is someone using one, and can drop some installed photos i'd appreciate it.

JSchleim18

I have a Koyo Evo 3 radiator installed. I relocated the temp sensor to the thermostat housing and you'll see how I routed the coolant line to the reservoir. It's pretty straightforward and looks great installed.

ssULtXt.jpg28VG3h1.jpg
OvNIRVf.jpg
3YsSCjS.jpg

I have a Koyo Evo 3 radiator installed. I relocated the temp sensor to the thermostat housing and you'll see how I routed the coolant line to the reservoir. It's pretty straightforward and looks great installed.
Thanks for the replay.
Do you think it would fit with the factory intercooler bracket?

Koyo doesn't make an evo3 rad option anymore, but I've been seeing several evo 3 radiators on eBay in the $150 range

Last edited:

moduleunknown

I also have a Koyo Evo III radiator. My overflow line route is similar (not much else you can do unless you move the tank).

I went a different route with the sensor and had a bung welded on in the stock location.

Other minor tweak was that I had to grind down the fan mounting standoffs on the driver side (not needed anyway) so they wouldn't hit my ETS intercooler piping.

Other than that, the radiator dropped right it.

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

@moduleunknown
Is that the 14" flex-a-lite fan that you're using?
The koyo radiators look pretty thick, were they 3 row?

I emailed GPI Racing to see if they would build me a radiator, mainly so i won't have to weld a bung. I'm using their radiators on my 01 Honda cr250 and have been working great, and really the only option as of right now.

moduleunknown

@Bonecollector
It's a 12" FAL123 (with the logo plate flipped) - https://flex-a-lite.com/12-1-8-inch-lo-profile-s-blade-puller-electric-fan.html
I'm also still running the stock pusher fan.
As for the Koyo, mine is the 2-row 48mm core - HH030561 ...but there was a 53mm race core option (also NLA).

At the time I installed everything, I was living in Chandler, AZ and I can tell you that the setup worked great running around the desert on 120+ days.

That baby fits perfect.

I ran the flex-a-lite 420 fans on my old talon, which is basically a double fan version of yours (i was living in Peoria, AZ at the time i owned that car) only really had to turn on the second fan when stuck in traffic on a "death day", some days would be so f***ing hot my laptop would just overheat and shut off, the car would be perfectly fine tho, lol.
I don't miss that at all, sucks that dual fan setup won't fit on the galant.

I've decided to stick with flex-a-lite but go with their "flex-wave" 14" fan this time, that fan moves 650cfm more than the 12" single shrouded with a 1.5 lower amp draw, and it's about half the cost right now.
I'm a little suspect on the depth fitment, the 12" shrouded fan you're using is 7/8" thinner than the flex-wave, so that will the determined here soon.

KiNgMaRtY

I also have a Koyo Evo III radiator. One other thing to note is that it does sit a little lower than the OEM unit. Use can can just wedge something under or add shims to push it up. Other than that, it fits great.

I also have a Koyo Evo III radiator. One other thing to note is that it does sit a little lower than the OEM unit. Use can can just wedge something under or add shims to push it up. Other than that, it fits great.
Yeah, i just found that out, lol. I recieved the GPI radiator in the mail a couple weeks ago, which is also shorter by about 1".
What did you use for your spacer?

20220514_074715_(1).jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings