The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

evo 3 fuel pump

tintoy

i install an evo 3 fuel pump in my gvr4. the evo 3 pump is smaller and i use a clamp to hold the pump. i'm experiencing a static in my stereo. do i have to use a kind of rubber that i will wrap around the pump to prevent it from having direct contact by the clamp that i've use to hold it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

alansupra94

Why not use some thicker and stronger zip ties (not the small $1 ones but the heavy duty ones)

I know I have seen a few pumps with a sort of rubber sock that goes around it but I am unsure of where you get them from.

tintoy

do you have a photo comparison of an evo3 and gvr4 pumps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

alansupra94

Quoting tintoy:
do you have a photo comparison of an evo3 and gvr4 pumps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nope. Wait, aren't you the one running a EVOIII pump instead of a GVR4?

What mods are you running?

fuel

Quoting tintoy:
what is the difference between the 2 pumps(evo3 and gvr4)

Basically the physical size - as far as I know the two pumps flow very similar flow rates.

tintoy

so there is no difference between the evo3 and gvr4 interns of flow? i thought the evo3 pump flows more cause the stock evo3 have bigger turbo, injector's and diff cam duration compare to the stock grv4.

tintoy

I've use the evo3 pump and cause static to my stereo,got worried that it may damage my comp box. i put back to stock pump the static is gone.

fuel

Quoting tintoy:
so there is no difference between the evo3 and gvr4 interns of flow? i thought the evo3 pump flows more cause the stock evo3 have bigger turbo, injector's and diff cam duration compare to the stock grv4.

well don't quote me on that but I wouldn't say there would be a huge difference in flow. As far as I know the VR-4 pumps are all the same whether it be the 195hp export models or the 240hp Evolution models. The VR-4 4G63 and the Evo 2-3 4G63 have the same cams, there is no different duration or lift. The Evo 1 4G63 has slightly lower lift than the VR-4/Evo 2-3 engines.

tintoy

now i know. my friend tells me that the cam from the evo3 is diff from the gvr4. he keeps telling me that to change my cam to evo3. thank you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fuel

they have exactly the same part number in CAPS and ASA, although you can't rule out that the VR-4 cams were superceeded by the Evo 2/3 cams, however those who have measured the lobe height of the VR-4 and Evo 2/3 cams have said they are of the same height, so surely the duration would be the same too.

tintoy

going back to fuel.my friend swap his grv4 engine to evo3.he damage or i just put it this way, he destroyed all of his pistons(crack all pistons). he run at high boost and we notice that vacuum at the FPR is not attach. could that be the reason and his running to lean cause the vacuum is out?

AnotherNewb

The VACUUM hose for the FPR is also a PRESSURE hose. If he was running HIGH boost without his vacuum hose attached to the FPR that is definatly one of the sources of failure due to an over lean condition. Its a little late now but did he bother to set base timing?

fuel

yeah as above, the FPR needs to increase the fuel pressure 1psi for every 1psi of boost increase or something similar to that affect. And sometimes running high boost on the stock FPR can lead to over-fueling which isn't good also - best to have an aftermarket adjustable FPR with a gauge so you can monitor the fuel pressure.

tintoy

the engine is a japan surplus and he did not bather to check the base timing.when he got the engine he drop it into his car and run the strip until the car died on him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tintoy

(And sometimes running high boost on the stock FPR can lead to over-fueling which isn't good also) -can u tell me more about this. the stock FPR is only limited to a certain psi, is that right? so if i run at high boost or let as say the max boost of a 14b(which i'm running right now) can lead to over-fueling it mean the air/fuel is bad. how is that? and what certain or max boost can i run to avoid over-fueling to a stock FPR.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned