The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ETACS? Where is the unit

Hey I am trying to diagnose another (shocking) problem with my galant.

List of things not working correctly:
Seatbelts don't move
tach doesn't move
temp gauge doesn't move
intermittant wipers don't intermittant
I get a beep when I open the door.
Cruise starts to work but almost immediately stops.

I am attributing all of this to a dead ETACS unit (you know that wonderfull mitsu masterpiece that sets off your alarm but lets you still drive the car...)

Where is the ETACS unit? Up over the clutch pedal there are 2 boxes one black plastic the other steel both with a ~18wire plug going into them. Is either of them it?

Before the Tcase died on me, I was having intermittant problems with the tach and gauges not working, but if I kicked around the fuse box they usually came back to life, but not anymore.

Thanks,
Dan

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Maybe you need to stop kicking and find the loose or broken wiring causing your intermittent.

The ETACS is the box attached to the junction block. The junction block is where the interior multipurpose fuses are.

Hertz

Staff member
ETACS does not control the instrument cluster. Your tach and temp gauges are being affected by something else.

Quote:
tach doesn't move

As someone else said, the tach gets driven directly by the transistor, no ETACS involved. It gets its power from the instrument cluster.

Quote:
temp gauge doesn't move

This is either related to the tach issue, because of a voltage problem in your instrument cluster, or could be a bad/disconnected sender under the hood. No ETACS here either.

Quote:
intermittant wipers don't intermittant

Do a search. Several people have had this problem, and it is one of those relays above the fuse box, if I recall.

Quote:
Cruise starts to work but almost immediately stops.

Again, do a search. If the red light on the stalk goes out when you try to activate the cruise, I did a big post on this one time, and someone recently reposted the pictures I took. There is a tiny relay behind the steering wheel. Its a little involved to get to, but you either need to file the contacts which become pitted, or replace the relay with something similar from Radio Shack. I did the former in #880, and the latter in #1886. Both worked perfectly afterwards.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts