The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine start problems

Specter

I have been having this problem for sometime now. I thought i would ask it here. Regardless of the atmosphere temperature, the car takes long cranks, i have to continuously crank it for like 3-4 secs, and repeat it thrice, only then the engine, after missing for the first few miliseconds, starts. It is then stable 1400rpm, reducing to 1000rpm when fully warmed up. After getting warmed up, it usually starts after i crank it for like 2-3 seconds. To me it seems that the engine is taking long to prime up and get ready to start. What do you think is the problem?

It could be fuel related problem? Or maybe spark plugs? I have no check engine light whatsoever. The car is stock except an added fpr set to 37psi. The car runs fine during routine city cruising and spirited driving.

Specter

Also my car cranks a bit slow after getting warmed up. Seems like the starter, or the starter relay gets heated for some reason. I got the starter checked and its fine. But still cranks slow during hot starts.

pauleyman

Here is a quick and dirty test. I've seen fuel injectors leak fuel pressure down so the system not only has to reprime one or more cylinders have a little bit of fuel in them at startup causing a mis, stumbling etc for the first few seconds after cold startup. A quick test could be one or more of the following. After a cold sputter startup as soon as it smooths out in the first 10 sec or so shut it down. Immediately restart it. Was it smooth? I'm betting you have a leak at the pump or an injector. Another test is if it's consistent about starting up poorly when cold, prime the pump first via the check connector or a logger. Then try it and see what happens.

Specter

It is consistent with these problems whenever i start it cold. I tried the restarting technique and it definitely starts again without any sputter. Also my fuel pump turns on with the ignition on so its not a priming problem with regards to the pump itself. So apparently it seems that the injectors are leaking. How much of a leak could it be? Can i confirm this some how? If i open up the spark plugs and see down the hole would i be able to make out if the injectors are leaking fuel?

Thanks!

JNR

If it only happens when it's cold and started up recently, could be the gas...that ethanol stuff is crap and especially if the station does not take steps to keep the moisture out...On my CTS-V, I got a batch of bad gas at a mobil station (figures I filled up too, argh) where it got progressively harder and harder to start when it was cold [never had a single issue prior], until it would not start w/o some aid in the throttle body...once it was warmed up it was fine...burned thru the gas finally and never had that issue again.

Specter

Hmmm..if its bad gas than i have burned through it a lot of times in the past couple of months. Of course some gas will always remain in the tank which cannot be used. I do not use E-85, just normal gas. I would like some ideas on how to confirm if my injectors are leaking.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned