The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine Removal?

thecman02

Newbie question, but since I haven't pulled my engine before what's the best way to go about it? Pull off the trans slip out bottom;then, pull out engine from the top? Is it possible to pull out the engine with the trans? My AC still works great. Is there enough flex in the AC lines to just unbolt and hang it off to the side?

Terry Posten

Yes, unbolt the AC comp and set it to the firewall.

Leave the tranny attached. Just pull the axles and dropped the exhaust and tcase. Remove the radiator and of course the electrical and fuel lines. Unbolt the power steering pump and tuck it into the front corner.

It really is not hard on our cars.

Set the chains up so the motor comes up with the front of the block slightly higher than the tranny side. Not much.

The only thing that gets in the way is the rear steering fluid lines that go just over the tranny end on the passenger side frame rail.

Slide the motor /tranny all the way over to the drivers side and forward and the tranny end goes to the fire wall side while slowing jacking it up.

There is not need to remove the turbo, intake mani, or the water pump pulleys. HOWEVER, it you do want to remove the water pump pulleys, it gives you 1 more inch to slide toward the front side and makes the tranny miss the steering lines.

If you have or are going to remove the rear steering, removing those twin fluid lines on the passenger side frame rail will allow the motor and trans to go straight up and out and then back in.

Super easy.

Dan D

I'd recommend getting a $35 hoist load leveler from Harbor Freight. It made pulling the motor a lot easier (especially if you are working alone) because you can tip it to and fro, ensuring you clear everything.

thecman02

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably be pulling it tonight.

cspetros

When I removed my engine, I tied the A/C compressor up with rope (spare piece of electrical wire actually) so the refrigerant lines weren't supporting the weight of the compressor. My A/C is original, has never been touched, and is ice cold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif. I wasn't going to take a chance on loosing it.

Just make sure all the electrical connections (knock sensor, etc.) are undone before you start hoisting it out. The factory manual pages for the removal process are a good thing to have, just so you can remember everything. You might consider labeling the connectors (I did, using masking tape and a sharpie).

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Terry Posten

I used a large ty-wrap to hang the AC comp.

Labeling the connectors is for newbies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I think I could reconnect all the fuel lines, electrical wires, and the rest of the stuff blind folded. (don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

cspetros

Quote:
Labeling the connectors is for newbies

You're right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. That was the first time I had ever pulled an engine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned