The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine rebuild: Crankshaft

birdman24

I tore my motor apart to find that the rod bearing for cylinder #1 decided they didn't want to do they're job anymore and spun a little. The bearings left very small scratches on the surface of the crankshaft where the rod bearing sit for cylinder #1. The owner of the machine shop said that it would have to be turned. I heard that our cranks should never be turned, is this true?

AnotherNewb

Yes it is true. There is a coating or something on our cranks that cuttin the crank removes. Your best bet is to find a good used crank and having it polished.

boostedinaz

Barnes is correct. The Nitrading also goes so "deep" into the crank. When the machine shop cuts it down they cut off the layer that has been nitrated. Many people have had good luck with cut cranks and to be honest I doubt it would matter even in a decently modded motor but why chance it?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned