The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine may be on the outs?......

92GVR4num65

havent been drivin the GVR4 much since i bought it as ive been tryin to pay debt down, buy parts etc....but today i thought id show her some love and give her some new oil. used Amsoil full synthetic and Mobile1 filter. The car was definately low on oil (if 3 quarts came out id be suprised) i didnt notice much for silver flakes in the oil so i suppose thats a good sign, however when i started it up i noticed a barely audible knock coming from cyl 4 area...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifperhapse ive not noticed this because im not usually under the hood when its running and its nowhere near loud enough to hear from inside the car as the exhaust drowns out pretty much whatever....i took the car out, drove it around and its still there, not getting worse or better. its BARELY audible at idle, when i rev it it gets a bit more audible. Its def not lifter tick (i have 3g lifters) and i know what rod knock sounds like (my 240 threw a rod bad) i need to get a oil pressure gauge to see what the oil pump is putting out, but this worries me more than a bit.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ideas?

AnotherNewb

Pull the plug wire off of that cylinder while its running. If your barely audiable noise goes away, I'd pull the oil pan and check the rod bearings. My $0.02

If you do pull the pan check your wrist pin, that will make a knocking noise as well but a little different then a rod bearing. Sometimes spark shooting out of plug wires can makes some wierd engine type noises.

Last tune up? I always start simple, before tearing stuff apart. Think the plug idea from above is a simple solution path starting point...

92GVR4num65

Tried the plug thing. Noise stopped. plugged it back in and knock back....ugh btw its gotten quite a bit louder, esp when revving..o well. Anywho im now sourcing a good 4g63 block in the parts wanted section and will be building a good solid engine this summer....i believe the miles/abuse just got the best of this tired old beast...

Plan is to stop driving it as to not completely destroy this engine. Buy a spare engine and build that w forged internals, fully balanced, BSE, etc...use the existing head just have it machined and perhapse new valves, valve job, and porting. Swap the new engine into the GVR4 and use the old GVR4 engine in the Talon after rebuilding that....

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

And it begins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

92GVR4num65

....ya im def a newb...lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts