The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine knocking pulled pan no metal everything solid?

trunks

I know this is a newb question but I could have swore my engine was knocking. I pulled the pan off and there is no metal in there and everything is solid. I pulled the top timing cover and the belt is walking away from the engine. I plan to pull everything off the timing side tomorrow night because a pulley must be loose.

Could a loose pulley cause that much noise in there? Should I pull the caps to have a look at the bearings on the rods? Since there solid I don't see a need to but maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks for any advice!

trunks

All the timing components were brand new last fall so I hope that's not it. I must have not torqued something down in there properly. As long as the internals are okay..

trunks

Well it turns out the tensioner arm bolt was very loose. Now I have to figure out where all the oil is coming from in there but that's another story.

if your lifters are really bad it will also sound like rod knock does your motor still have your balance shafts??
i thought mine had rod knock but it turned out to be the balance shafts so i just removed then with the eliminater kit from mitsu have you looked at those??

Adorsey

Alot of the bolts for the timing cover(front case) have oil on the back side of them. Pretty much, if you are missing a bolt in the timing cover, you got a oil leak.
Which is probably one of them in that area of the tentioner
I was missing one of the larger bolts in the case, and oil poured out onto my brandy new Gates t-belt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I was a newb

Last edited:

alansupra94

^^^^^^

Yeah I put sealer on all the bolts I put in so they won't leak. I find that the best idea.

trunks

The problem is it looks like the oil is coming from much higher. There is oil on the alternator and the power steering pump bracket on the front of the engine. It is not the valve cover, cam seals, power steering fluid. The timing cover had no decernable pattern - just a whole bunch on the bottom.

I have l19 headstuds and the guy who bolted it down said you had to torque them once, loosen, and then retorque to get them properly torqued down. He really cranked on them and I'm wondering if he cracked my head because it looks like the oil starts right at the top of the block timing belt side. I originally thought it was the exhaust manifold gasket so that was sealed the last time I tried to fix it.

The balance shaft is removed. When running it vibrated enough to make it hard to make out cars in my rear view mirror. I've been reading that my other shaft is probably 180 out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm probably just going to pull it and get it check out since I'm getting the transmission rebuilt anyway.

Barnes

Do you have a spark plug wire cover? I.E. that plastic cover that goes over the middle of the valve cover? It is possible that you valve cover is cracked in the middle, and you are leaking oil out the weep hold which comes out right about where you are talking.

trunks

No spark plug cover and there is no oil in leaking anywhere from that valve cover. That weep hole looks clean too.

Thanks for the replies. I do appreciate it.

alansupra94

That much vibration doesn't sound right. Did you have a FULL balance shaft removal? Stub and all?

trunks

I'm not sure on the balance shaft elimination details. I bought the engine from a local dsm guy. I've just decided to do a full build on a different block and get it over with. Third gears grinding, engines having issues, so I'm just going to get everything rebuilt so I can enjoy driving the car again.

Thanks for all the replies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

trunks

I was thinking that two. Engine is out but I didn't get the head off yet. I interested to see what's in there. I found oil everywhere in my intercooler pipes - a bunch even stuck to the gm maf and my 68hta is still solid so something must have been going on.

trunks

I took it apart tonight and here is a picture of the top of the pistons. This is after about 5000 miles. I know carbon build is normal but that seems like a lot. I am running e85 and I did notice the typical goo on the injectors but not as bad as I've seen. Many of the bolts were awefully easy to untighten I think do to the excessive vibration. Any thoughts on this picture?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned