The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

either or??

Terrance362

Wally 255 or a bosch 044. The wally would be more cost friendly and the 044 is what. what are the pros and cons of the two??

mitsuturbo

You ran, what.. 11.9x in 1051? What fuel were you running and what pump? With/without alc/h2o injection?

turbowop

Back then I ran Sunoco 110 octane on an FP Green. That was also on the stock intake manifold and before I installed the meth kit. But I ran a Wally 255HP. I had plenty of pump left. Hell, I could probably run a 190 now since I run meth and require less pump gas when it's spraying.

mitsuturbo

Good to know. I'm hoping for a similar time or slightly better with what i'm going with. My eventual and final goal is to have a very clean car that will run high 11's. I'd like to pull of 11.50 or slightly slower at some point.

cheekychimp

How much are Bosch 044s and Walbro 255s these days? Magnus has a mechanical pump for about $600 that runs straight off the camshafts. That's a lot of money but I've replaced quite a few fuel pumps in my time and the idea of not having to mess with that fuel sender unit again unless the float switch fails is mighty attractive.

cheekychimp

Terrance, I think there is a lot to be said for the Magnus Pump/Drive when all is said and done but it is really a question of whether or not the cost is worth it to you depending on your intended use for the car.

There 'are' numerous advantages. Although people's experiences seem to vary, Walbro pumps are notoriously noisy, the mechanically driven pump is by comparison pretty much silent from the cabin. The pump itself is bolted straight onto the drive which runs off the cam wheels. The pump is therefore accessible by popping the hood instead of going into the trunk, removing carpet, attacking an often rusty sender housing and stripping threads shearing bolts in the process etc. You won't need a fuel pump rewire. The pump shuts down as soon as the engine shuts down which has obvious safety potential at the track, and you are pretty much never going to run out of pump which means no further work down the road having people mock up twin Bosch 044s in tank etc. You can just run a -6AN line from the tank to the pump and another short line to the rail and pretty much be done.

The only real disadvantage I can think of is that of the cost, although I have wondered if starting the car would be any more difficult as I imagine you might need to turn the engine over a few times to get the system to prime but I really don't know for sure.

I think the deciding factor really is if a single in tank pump will meet your requirements. If it will, you might as well stay factory and just get yourself a nice clean non corroded sending unit. If however you find yourself exceeding the flow of something like a Supra TT pump you need to start weighing up the cost of fabricating various other options. Twin Bosch 044 in tank sending units in stainless steel will probably run you half the cost of the Magnus with the pumps. You'll probably need to do a rewire for that as well which doesn't have to be expensive but it's more money if you buy the kit etc. You will also discover if you start researching this that twin pump setups are not favoured by everyone as the pumps can fight each other if not setup correctly meaning you don't actually get double the flow as you might expect.

I have considered the Magnus pump fairly seriously but I am also very aware of the fact that a lot of people have made big numbers on single pump setups, so I very much doubt I really need that much pump for my rather modest goals. I do like the simplicity and reliability of mechanical pumps. There is a very good reason why OEM water pumps and oil pumps are mechanically driven despite causing parasitic power loss through the belts. BUT it's still a lot of money to spend for the reliability issue alone on what is in all honesty a non critical application and it would take a fair bit of time to pay for itself in that respect.

Edit: Just out of interest, are there any issues to running a mechanical fuel pump in as much as pressure rises with rpms? Can this be regulated by the FPR satisfactorily, and would you require a very large fuel return with a pump like this?

Last edited:

Terrance362

Ok I just e-mail magnus about the question about the fpr and the return and mornin starts. As soon as I hear back from them I will post what the say.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts