The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EGR code means I can't pass emissions

DR1665

Did some searching, but was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on my question while I'm burying my nose in service manuals tonight.

TIA.

Got a code back in May for the EGR. They can't put 464/1000 on the rollers here in AZ because they don't have AWD dynos at the emissions testing centers, but they will sure as hell fail me for a CEL.

I saw the vac line to the EGR was off, so I reconnected it. Reset the ECU and the code came back. (Dirty little f***er.) Now, I don't care, but AZ does, so I gotta figure this out pretty quick. My tags expired in May and my "Honoring Fallen Police Officers" tag will only buy me so much slack, ya know?

This car came from California, but Carfax shows it was originally from Texas. It came with a 92 Talon TSi AWD automatic ECU in it. It's got a proper GVR4 ECU in there now, but I don't know if it's Fed- or CA-spec. Anyway to tell aside from the resistor on R129 or whatever?

Can anyone tell me what the little doo-dads on the aircan are for? I know one is BCS. Is that the one by itself on the front of the airbox? What about the other two on the backside? I can't seem to find any vac diagrams online showing them, so it's hard to search efficiently.

Thanks for any insight into my random post, gents.

B

464/2K

Check the emissons vaccume diagram under The hood, it should say something like in compliance with federal 1992 vehicles... If it's Cali it will say federal and California.

cspetros

If you're talking about items 5 and 6 in the diagram below (back of aircan), they are the fuel pressure solenoid and the EGR solenoid.

Hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gvr4ever

I thought only California spec GVR4 ECUs had EGR codes that tripped a CEL. Can someone else confirm this? If so, just try using the other ECU for now.

Solder a 1K resistor into the R129 position of the ECU, which will convert it to Federal instead of California emissions, and it will ignore the EGR.
R129 is one of the 2 config ID resistors, circled in yellow:
TMO page

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
464/1000 is a California car, and was originally sold there. Carfax apparently is missing some info.

DR1665

Iceman is correct. I thought the car was from Texas, but the Carfax shows it was initially registered 08/20/1992 in California. I'd check the hood, but it's not the original hood. (Neither of my Galants have the original hoods on them.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So, aside from the R129 resistor, is there any other way to know if an ECU is Fed-spec or not? Even so, I'm going to see if I can't get that resistor installed today at the shop.

One other question, and this might be a tough one, when I got the car, it was running with a 92 Talon TSi AWD automatic ECU in it. No CEL with that one. Suppose I re-installed that for the time being, do OBDI ECUs report make/model/etc to the scanners? That is, if I swap it back in and it clears the CEL, will it come up at the emissions testing center as a 92 Eagle Talon on their system, suggesting shenanigans?

Thanks, guys.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:

That is, if I swap it back in and it clears the CEL, will it come up at the emissions testing center as a 92 Eagle Talon on their system, suggesting shenanigans?

ObdI does not report that info.

The auto ecu is set-up for 390cc injectors though, so your tune may be off if you don't have an safc or some such.

Last edited:

belize1334

I don't know about AZ, but in Oregon they never plugged into the OBDI port. They just put the sniffer on and then idled the car and revved it up a bit and that was it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting toybreaker:
Quote:

That is, if I swap it back in and it clears the CEL, will it come up at the emissions testing center as a 92 Eagle Talon on their system, suggesting shenanigans?

ObdI does not report that info.

Yup, OBD1 is not that "suffisdecated".

gvr4ever

Tin foil hat on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TMO logger could report a california spec ECU, but that's it. No car info.

Rausch

Quoting belize1334:
I don't know about AZ, but in Oregon they never plugged into the OBDI port. They just put the sniffer on and then idled the car and revved it up a bit and that was it.

I don't think they wil scan an OBD I car. A CEL mat still fail you, but if you pass the sniffer, you should be good to go.

JNR

side note...was this number 464 that was sold in Pasadena as a crashed car? I went and looked at that and wondering what happened to it. Do as Jeff recommends to convert, especially since you are now in 'federal' territory.

Quoting DR1665:
when I got the car, it was running with a 92 Talon TSi AWD automatic ECU in it. No CEL with that one. Suppose I re-installed that for the time being, do OBDI ECUs report make/model/etc to the scanners? That is, if I swap it back in and it clears the CEL, will it come up at the emissions testing center as a 92 Eagle Talon on their system, suggesting shenanigans?

As someone else said, the A/T ECU will run a little richer than the stock GVR-4 ECU, since it thinks it is running 390cc injectors @ 43psi, so it could cause you to fail the emissions test. Its best to just solder in the resistor. That, and the part number on the ECU, are the ONLY diffences between a Cali and Federal ECU.

DR1665

BOOYAH.

Thanks for all the help, gents! Mission accomplished!

Turns out the ECU was one of the MD165811 models missing the R129 resistor. Added the 1K resistor and then, since I was at a solder station with the ECU sitting in front of me, went ahead and socketed the EPROM.

The Blackberry doesn't do so well at closeups, but you can make out the open lands on the R129 location in this picture. (Just above the tip of the screwdriver.) NOTE: This ECU was reman'd by a company called ATE. I don't know why they glopped that potting sh*t all over the place, but peeling some of it back *gently* I exposed a jumper wire being run. Didn't keep trying to remove the glop, but short of removing that sh*t, there's no way to replace those caps again in the future. Really shitty job, imo.

I cleaned off most of the conformal coat and removed most of the solder on the EPROM, but rather than risk damaging the chip, I asked my friend Belinda to do the final pull under the scope. (Didn't want to break any leads or rip out a barrel or anything like that.)

EPROM now chillin' in a socket. 1K R129 resistor is at the left edge of this picture. The resistor we used was a larger form factor than the OEM, but it's all good now.

Fed-spec could give a sh*t about whatever the CARB commies required a CEL for. (Maybe I'll try bleeding my brakes here one day...)

As for John JNR's question about whether this is the 464 listed in SoCal as crashed, this is the same car. The owner got it fixed up really super nice (aside from the paint job, which is orange peel) and installed the JDM front bumper cover. Then he traded it for a 1G Eclipse rally car. I bought it from the previous owner of said rally car.

The core support has been replaced, and far better than the job I did on 195 I might add. Here's some pictures of how 464/1000 looks today. click

Again, thanks for all the help, guys. Really appreciate it a lot. Hope this thread helps someone in the future.

JNR

Glad to hear it's been fixed and put on the road. I came real close to buying it and parting it out, although didn't want to have to do that. The damage wasn't *that* bad, iirc, and the car seemed to be in decent shape. Glad it worked out for the mod to the ecu; sounds like your in bidness. Always a good feeling...

Don't worry about the black glop all over the board. Although its a pain, you will never need to replace the caps again. The original caps don't just "go bad", they were defective, due to some industrial espionage in China.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Hmmm, "Rubycon" capacitors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif Ruby=red (like China), con=well, you know what that means. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts