The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

effective intercooler upgrade

paul j

What would be a few good intercoolers to use to upgrade over stock that would provide a worthwhile and effective step up? I would not want to eliminate a/c or fans. I also would not want to chop up a bumper except minimally in order to keep the horizontal bars to somewhat cover the stuff back there. I would also like it to be inexpensive and easily accomplished. Not asking too much am I? I have not been able to find much on my searches the last few months so I must not be using appropriate queries.

EHmotorsports

JDM VR4 RS intercooler and piping would be a bolt on improvement if you can find one.

tektic

Try using Google to search like this.
Site:galantvr4.org fmic

The punishment racing vrsf and ets seem to be the only kits that fit with little modification. I kept my ac but had to cut my bumper for the ets kit.

Full custom is the other option.

jnava

Staff member
The evo 8/9 is a great alternative for your price range. You can find one usually in the 75-100 range and it will take minimal effort to install. There is a few guides in our "how-to" section.

strokin4dr

Quoting tektic:
Try using Google to search like this.
Site:galantvr4.org fmic

The punishment racing vrsf and ets seem to be the only kits that fit with little modification. I kept my ac but had to cut my bumper for the ets kit.

Full custom is the other option.

I have the ETS kit and the shorter jdm front bumper. Mine fit fine with a little patience. No cutting involved at all.

tyeler18

Im actually selling a nearly mint evo 8 fmic if you're interested.

SSGdave

While I was at work one day (El Cajon Mitsubishi) I noticed the EvoX FMIC, flipped front to back, might make a good near bolt inintercooler for the GVR4.
the Inlet outlet in a flipped orientation seems to be optimal for minum addaptation.

here is a picture of a stock EvoX IC and a Lancer RA IC. Just imagine these IC's flipped front to back.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Jim, Paul is apparently not intimately familiar with those products.

Top smaller is Lancer Ralliart (lower HP turbo model), lower larger is the Evo (higher HP).

lampgrif

The evo 8/9 is a great alternative for your price range. You can find one usually in the 75-100 range and it will take minimal effort to install. There is a few guides in our "how-to" section.
does the evo 8 intercooler require a lot of modification to fit? and does the original piping work?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts