The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECU turn on issue

NateCrisman

Ok guys, I have a "customer" car at my garage that I'm trying to diagnose. It stopped running on him, he's only had the car for a couple weeks and it was 100% stock and unmolested until he got it.

He trailered it to me, I cannot seem to get the ecu to turn on. It was running/driving and quit unexpectedly. The datalogger will not connect and the MPI relay does not click. Obviously then we have no spark and no fuel pump activity. The MPI fuse under the hood and the ecu fuse under the dash are both good. Iv swapped ecu with my car with no change. Same with the MPI relay. The car has no AFC and the ecu harness has not been touched around the ecu, all the wires look clean. Under the hood the wiring is all clean and untouched.

Any advise on the next thing to check. Anything in the ignition switch that could cause the issue?

prove_it

Check the grounds, could be loose or damaged. Other than that there is an ignition switch 12+ power supply to the ecm, check to be sure there is 12+. Without that signal the ecm wont turn on.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Nate, you can do some quick checks at the mpi relay to narrow things down.

Using a voltmeter, check the black/red wire for power, it should be hot 24/7.

Turn the key to the on position, and there should be power on the black/white wire at terminal 3 of the relay.

[Edit] You can also look at the ignition switch harness to be sure there isn't a "t harness" other bodgification there from an alarm/turbo timer/gauge system.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

God, I hope not. Last thing I need is #139 going down in the process of trying to help another guy out.

NateCrisman

Im going over to the garage today, Ill check all the pins for battery 12V, ground, and switched power and see what I come up with (mpi relay as well as ecu small plug)

NateCrisman

Quoting toybreaker:
Nate, you can do some quick checks at the mpi relay to narrow things down.

Using a voltmeter, check the black/red wire for power, it should be hot 24/7.

Turn the key to the on position, and there should be power on the black/white wire at terminal 3 of the relay.

[Edit] You can also look at the ignition switch harness to be sure there isn't a "t harness" other bodgification there from an alarm/turbo timer/gauge system.

At the relay plug: nothing has battery power with key off, that's the problem.

Black/white wire on top/middle. Pin 3 has switched power. Two relay wires have constant ground. Both black pins 2 and 6

the black/red is pin 10 that is missing 12v battery power. What's that go to?

NateCrisman

Got the car to run. The black/red wire at mpi relay goes to the plug on pass frame rail under maf position along side fuse box. Had no power there. Had power under mpi fuse but none on other side. Ends up there was bad connvtiion under fuse

gtluke

Probably the result of installing a GM MAF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NateCrisman

the car has a 2g maf with a "plug in" harness adapter. But he did put the battery in the trunk and maybe the wire going into the fuse box was pulled?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned