The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ecmlink Ethanol sensor

prove_it

Anyone plan on setting up the new addition to the ecmlink gadgets? I'm I will once I can afford all the pieces, just wondering if anyone else is, or even knows about this.

Ecmlink ethanol sensor info

mitsuturbo

I saw that recently. I would consider it if E85 weren't so scarce around here. I'll probably just run pump gas or leaded race gas when i want to make some real power.

strokin4dr

This is the best news I've heard all week. I have been hoping and waiting for an addition like this for ECMlink! Ordering parts now!!!

prove_it

It sounds like you'll be able to transition automatically between pump and e85 too. I'm pumped.

Tommyd

I'll be ordering the parts in the next week. I just spoke to them about it, min oct map is tuned for pump and max octane is tuned for the highest you would be running(E85/90/100) the sensor reads the mixture and interpolates the two graphs based on the exact mixture. Its all pretty straight forward, and allows you to run E85+ for whenever you'd like but if you're taking a trip to say the shootout, you can stop and get regular 93 along the way and not worry about it. Basically the best news ever.

prove_it

Yep, I can now drive out of town without my laptop, charger, power inverter and extra time to retune the damn thing. So happy. so so so happy.

ktmrider

Thanks for the info lads! Like mentioned it makes life way simpler ( no laptop required even for track events ).

prove_it

I'm curious to see how everyone will install the sensor. I'm still using the factory return line, so I know I'll have to get creative.

NateCrisman

Remember to bring the laptop in order to drastically drop the boost level when going from E To gas!

turbowop

If using ECMlink boost control, it can probably be set up to drop the boost level automatically.

I would love this, but lack of nearby E85 stations and complications integrating this into my setup with methanol injection would be a major headache. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

jnava

Staff member
Quoting prove_it:
I'm curious to see how everyone will install the sensor. I'm still using the factory return line, so I know I'll have to get creative.

They do recommend the russle fitting but if I was to go e85, upgrading the entire line from tank to fuel rail, back to tank would be essential.

jnava

Staff member
First, the firmware upgrade is not available due to bugs they had to sort out. It was initially offered but at this point, it is not available. Next, the parts list that is needed is this. . Those are the sources they provided plus the pigtails that you could use. You will need to have SD in order to use the maf input line for the sensor.

4thStroke

Quoting marvinmadman:
What is required now to run e85?

Before? I made it by with the bare essentials of an intank 255, an inline 255 spliced in between the stock fuel filter and stock rail/fittings, and a FPR with pushlock lines, injectors, and stock return.

Now, you add this sensor, wire it to the stock MAF lines, and plumb it into your existing fuel system, they recommend on the return.

marvinmadman

I was just wondering about lines and pump and sh*t. We just now getting a pump that's about 1.5 hours away.

4thStroke

A lot of people will tell you that the stock lines and 255s won't cut it, but that's not always true. I've had success with the Walbro 255s and stock lines for a long time, right down to a stock replacement filter and bottleneck fitting on the top of the filter and the car keeps taking more abuse. The 255 debate is still hit or miss as a lot of poeple have had them fail on ethanol, but you can't always rule it out as complete fail. I made 557awhp on stock lines, IDC was just over 100%, so I know for a fact that the stock lines and a inline 255s will support 500+awhp and can do so for some time.

My 30R setup is not done making power so I will be making some fuel system changes to max this turbo out, but the existing setup can make some good power.

Last edited:

prove_it

I'm going on 3 years of daily driving with E85. Stock feed and return lines. Walbro 255 high pressure set to 42psi idle. I have had no E85 related failures in 3yrs, and about 15k miles of driving. Cold start is a pita, but other than that, no issues. Making around 325whp on a s16g with FIC 880's. Idc at 85% max.

I've grown so tired of all the negative thoughts about ethanol. The truth is that runs clean, does not dissolve your tank or ruin your fuel lines. Support ethanol and run it if you can. It's not this highly corrosive metal and rubber eating chemical. I've got a buddy that is running a neon converted to E85 for over 8yrs now. Just a 255 pump and injectors. I've got several people that mix E30 in their stock cars, and every one has increased gas mileage and better performance.

Best feeling I get is when I fill up my tank, my money is going to American farmers, and not some rich princes in Iraq.

prove_it

Been running the walbro supplied intank filter sock and an oem filter with no issues. I changed the filter at 5k miles. Last time I changed it, it was still like new.

From the info I've gathered on the pumps that fail with E85, I've found most people are pushing around 50psi at idle with 20-30lbs boost. This forces the pump to push 70-80psi under boost, which is ok on pump gas, but the since E85 is thicker I believe that is where the failures occur.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned