The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECM link V3 questions

tacolibre

I am getting ready to do a bunch of different things to my galant but as far as the motor and engine management goes I think I have narrowed down the main issues with my car running poorly. I have listed them below.

1. ECU has bad CAPS

2. Vent to atmosphere on a bone stock ecu(Under hard acceleration you have a hard drop off between shifts or basically whenever the BOV vents/ you let off the throttle)

3. 1/2" diameter vacuum line going to intake is hooked to nothing just open

that being said I bought a good socketed ECU and ECM V3. I understand #3 will have to be tracked down and reconnected or capped off but am I correct that the combination of the ECU and the ECM link will be able to correct #'s 1&2?

turbowop

V3 will only correct vta if you go speed density with it. The hose on the intake pipe usually goes to the valve cover breather. Lots of people remove it and cap it at the intake pipe when using a catch can. I don't know how to help you there as I don't have enough info about hour setup.

belize1334

I thought that ECMLink had an option to artificially alter the MAF signal during shifts in an effort to compensate for VTA. Though, I still don't understand the point. Recirculated BOVs are loud enough as it is...

ghostinthevr4

Sorry buddy there's no feature that lets you artificially fake the MAF to be able to run VTA. The only way you can VTA with out that buck is to do what turbowop said and go SD or you can use a GM MAF and VTA.

If your on a karman vortech MAF it won't work.

turbowop

Quoting belize1334:
I thought that ECMLink had an option to artificially alter the MAF signal during shifts in an effort to compensate for VTA. Though, I still don't understand the point. Recirculated BOVs are loud enough as it is...

The problem is that the air that's vented during a shift has already been counted by the MAF. The ECU has no idea when you plan to shift or that the air that's been counted needs to be removed from the equation because it's about to be vented to atmosphere.

tacolibre

sry I was out of town for the weekend. What Turbowop said is what I feared was the case. Considering i do not plan to run speed density just yet, what part is missing? I doubt that the BOV installed is stock.

for the vacuum line, sounds like I should just size up a new one and reattach it?

I will post more detailed pics a little later today

LIV4PSI

Post up some pictures.

LIV4PSI

So that's an aftermarket BOV on the stock flange. I don't see how a gasket could properly seal that. I would just find a stock one and stock recirculation hose

tacolibre

Already in the process of getting the stock BOV, thanks for the information

tacolibre

So i am pretty sure now that I have all the parts but the recirculation hose. I am under the understanding that one of the stock radiator hoses has the right diameter and bends to make a suitable replacement once it is cut. Does anyone know if this is the upper or lower rad hose?

KiNgMaRtY

Nevermind, I blew up the picture and realized there is no way to recirculate that Forge BOV. Reminds me a bit of the Worx DS2, just that the DS2 has and outlet that let you adjust how much you wanted to vent and and recirculate.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned