The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECM link tuning...

beaner

The BISS is used to get the ISC in it's operating range. Think of the ISC as a master and the BISS a slave. Blindly adjusting the BISS isn't really in your best interest, especially if you have DSMLink.

The FIAV, as I understand it, is for initially starting a cold engine. It's a chamber of wax that's hard when cold and slowly melted by the coolant going to the throttle body. As the coolant heats up and melts the wax, less air is let past the throttle body and the idle is lower. Many people run ISC and no FIAV.

As for the 4 nipples on the throttle body, just cap all 4 individually. I honestly forget which do what, but some are boost only, vacuum/boost, etc. Over the years I've realized that capping them individually is best.

Thumb through these sites for setting your ignition timing and fixing your boost leaks:

vfaq.com
plymouthlaser.com

AuSpecVr4

Quoting johnnyRacer:
Just an idea, we should have an ECM LINK TUNING section somewhere on this board. My $0.02

+1 seems like a good idea to me.

ok fixed boost leaks, modified an fiav/isc block off plate to continue use of isc reinstalled everything and its definitely acting a little different but mostly the same, still same issue when I hit the throttle it dies as soon as it revs down? what gives, any ideas?
o2 is cycling but not like a regular running car, quite erratic still can't figure out if its in open or closed loop..
I'm enlisting the help of a paid professional if i can't get this figured out over the weekend, cause damn this is frustrating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

My suggestion is that you zero out your maf comp sliders, use the suggested deadtime as a starting point, and adjust it until your fuel trims are as close to zero as possible, but they are supposed move around, so don't go overboard. I shoot for a variance of less than +/- 5%. If your LTFTLo is Higher than your LTFTMid or LTFTHi, add deadtime, I use increments of 5uS unless the difference is extreme. If your LTFTLo is less than your mid/hi, take some deadtime out. If all the trims are positive, add some global fuel (small increments), if they are negative, pull some global.

Once you get your fuel trims where you want them, get a nice long log, with a lot of variation in your driving, I like an hour or so through a nice mountain pass, with twisties and straightaways, then when you get home, run the MAFComp Adjust Comined FT tool. This will give you a nice starting point for your MAFComp. Use the template, but don't take it as concrete, smooth out any spikes so that there is a nice natural curve. The data for the tool cuts off when open loop kicks in, so take the last point it maps for you, add just a little more in the which ever direction it was going, and then take that flat line all the way across.

Once this is done, your car should run pretty sweet and you can fine tune from there using measured boost or afr data if you have a MAP or Wideband, or both.

Good luck!

thank you, thats the most detailed response I've gotten so far, I've determined the car is getting in closed loop as indicated by a 1 in the closed loop log items displayed in live capture. I have a aem uego wide band run to a gauge on me pillar, so its not logged and I'm still running the factory front o2
I'll go through the motions you put up

~thanks

No problem man, ECMLink is actually really comprehensive once you get the hang of it. I had the same problems that you're having when I first installed it, including the problem of lacking responses at the ECMLink forums. Here's a hint, FWIW: If you ask a question on the ECMLink forums about tuning or troubleshooting your tune, post a log or you won't get a response.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts