The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ebay Aluminum Radiators

GEDengineering

Guys I am looking for some feedback on whether or not either of these radiator is work purchasing. I am in need of a new unit and trying to decide whether the extra 50 dollars is worth purchasing this over and oem style from rockauto.

The first on is Ebay for 145

The second one is Ebay for 138

The look to be the same chinesse manufacturer but who knows. I have also been looking at getting a scirocco ( Ebay ) radiator from ebay not sure if it is worth the effort to modify to make work with the a/c system.

Let me know what you guys think,
Regards
Glenn

Mdlimy

I took a gamble on an ebay aluminum radiator. Didn't have any issues with it. Only ran it for about 3k miles. I popped one headgasket and the pressure seems to have bowed out the sides of the core a bit, but didn't seem to affect the way it performed, I didn't notice it until I removed it to install a scirocco rad. I dont have any experience with other radiators to compare it and I didnt drive in particularly hot weather. I used a 14" Spal puller fan without a shroud.
Here is the exact one I used.

click

I have installed an ebay scirocco radiator in the car now with a 12" Spal pusher, I don't have high hopes for it with the less than ideal pusher fan setup but its worth a shot in my opinion. Here is the one I bought. It fit good, after I drilled two holes in the bottom of the core support for the pin and made a couple simple mounting brackets out of some 1"x 1/8" aluminum.

click

If you are driving in hot weather, or your car currently has inadequate cooling I would strongly recommend shopping for something higher quality. I think If I have issues with this Scirocco Radiator I am going to buy a core about twice as thick and build my own.

GEDengineering

Thank you for the quick response. I have have a few questions in regards to the scirocco radiator, do you have this one installed with the a/c or without. I am living in Florida and it gets pretty hot and humid down here so a/c is a must have.

Thanks
Glenn

Mdlimy

I do not have A/C installed, in fact I have removed quite a lot from my engine bay at this point. There are several people on here with the scirocco radiator, maybe one of them has a/c installed still, but I'm not sure.

GEDengineering

Thank you so much, yea I know I could make it work with the scirocco but that evo III one looks like the ticket for me.

GSXftw

I've ran a few aluminum ebay radiators...havent had an issue. Was on a 1G dsm radiator in my old car, going from OEM to that dropped it 10* in the summer. If youre manual and get the ones without the trans cooler, you will have a better core essentially. My scirocco eBay radiator just came in the mail, and I will be using it with AC. The condenser is pushed forward in preparation for this. Should be mocking it up any day now, Ill take pics and update build thread as always.

GEDengineering

I opted to get the evo III seeing as it a tad bit smaller than stock and will help with the fit and finish of my fans and intercooler piping. The radiator should arrive monday of next week and I will take picture of the install. Let keep this discussion open to help other going through the same cooling issues.

Thanks
Glenn

GSXftw

Yeah space is my primary concern, with a holset super HX40. I'll be doing whatever I can to keep it cool, water wetter, ducting/seals. Theres no way I can use the lower mounts. Ill post a pic once it comes together.

Pushinink

Ive had a few different ebay radiators over the years, only problem I ever had was one started leaking where the core meets the end tanks (it was on a chevy truck) and it worked great before the leak (popped up about a year after purchase) Now I try to buy everything thru oreillys, they can usually special order performance parts and get here about the same time if I were to order them. But then you have a receipt and warranty if anything happens

VR4Scott

I bought that $138 unit from lasvegasradiators. I have not run it yet but the lower pins are not spaced properly and the upper pins are too close to the engine side to allow the upper mounts to fit properly. The end tanks are also a good bit larger than the actual core, so that adds to the poor fitment.

GEDengineering

Thank you for your input I am glad that I didn't got with that radiator and instead with the evo III reversion I am hoping that with a couple of custom brackets the fans and the radiator will make a go combo for my set up. I also plan on adding upper ducting to help the fans pull air more directly over the area of the radiator because slow speed cooling is my primary concern. stay tuned guys more updates to follow as parts arrive.

Glenn

transparentdsm

this is the one i just recently put in 138 click and its been great. 2 row core. i drive up and over mountain passes and through switch backs. it actually cools the car really really well.

Nebraska

Scirocco seems to be the way to go, I just ordered mine. Before that, I was using a CX Racing EBay brand. Worked just as good as OEM, only difference was it looked pretty being aluminum.

GEDengineering

Well guys the radiator came in yesterday and I spent some time working on getting things to fit and play nice together. First I would like to say that the quality of the radiator I purchased from ebay looks very good and shouldn't have any problems flowing to keep the car cool. Now lets talk about the fitment, it is great to say the least, the lower mounts don't need any change at all it is a drop in affair, now the top I am going to have the fab up some brackets to make it bolt on. My plan it make a cover that will hold down the radiator along with enclosing the frontal grill area to force the air through the radiator for improved cooling. I attached some pictures so you guys can get an idea of were I am at. I will keep guys posted as I make more progress.

20160207_171547.jpg
[/url][/img]

20160207_171511.jpg
[/url][/img]

20160207_171557.jpg
[/url][/img]

Regards,
Glenn

Last edited:

GSXftw

Interesting to see this setup. I unfortunately cant even think about using the stock lower mounts, so with condenser moved forward, and radiator sucked in core support a bit, this is where mine is at.

Im a little worried about the size and cooling capacity, I was planning on doing the exact same thing with the upper mounts/shroud.

GEDengineering

The Scirroco seems to fit well. I am going to add to pusher fans in front of the condenser core to have extra power when require. I am going to use the low relay for the puller the high relay for one pusher and the second pusher on the a/c circuit. I know I am going to have to de-pin some items in the factory fuse block but it will be well work the effort.

Once I get the two pusher fans mounted I will post up some images and more information about the wiring.

Regards,
Glenn

EfiniX

I purchased and installed this radiator last summer.

click

Needed two fans, and I suspect I'll be buying better fans come this summer, but overall, I've been happy. Clears the turbo (T3-T04) nicely, and seems to perform well enough. That being said, the leak I'm seeing near the lower outlet is likely the bulging radiator hose, but it could be the weld on the end-tank. I'll know at the end of the weekend...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts