The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

East Wood Media/Sandblaster any body have any experience with one?

Vr4junkie

Im in the market for a soda blaster/media Blaster heres the one im looking at right now >> click 40 plus shipping or either click if it works good it wouldnt be bad I just need it to strip the paint of the suspension parts.

Let me know if any of you guys got real world experince with one of theses and how good they work.

kooter

There are a couple reviews and such on youtube. From what I have read the one from harbor freight is alright dry are and be sure to screen/ sift the media. I am looking to get one of these soon, As I am almost finished with my blast cabinet. Building it from scrap wood palets from work.

Vr4junkie

Blast cabinet out of wood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif post a pic of it I wanna see how it looks.

kooter

I have sealed every crack at least I am pretty sure I have, just need to finish the top and door, cut a window and line the inside. Since I am doing this without speding any more then I have to. So far all I paid for was screws, wood caulk, and 16 $ for a couple sheets of super thin plywood. I was thinking of lining the inside with pop cans. My roommates drink cases of mountain dew a day. I might just spend a few buck on a piece of sheet metal or do and do it right.
Soon will come the oven and powder coaiting. Wish me luck .

Sorry to hijack the thread.

As to the original question here I would choose the harbor freight model over the eastwood model. As I have read just get a quality air drier for the air hose.

curtis

I have a harbor freight cabinet or should I say 2 of them. I cut the back out of both and then dropped the floor of the cabinet down about 12 inches. Silicon and sheetmetal screws work great. But around the backs seem I welded it. It sits on an old wooden table that I just cut the center out of. If I ever get a clean shop again I'm cutting it back apart and adding about 18 inches to the middle. Thing about it is that with 2 cabinets I have gloves on both sides so big things don't have to be rotated. As for the glass on cabinets I've found that the thick packing tape works great. Just cover the glass over lapping each piece than after it wears you can just remove the glass and replace or do the quick method and just reach inside with a razor cut out a 10x10 square and just replace the spot.

Now for the wooden cabinet go by the line x/rhino liner place and see what they'll charge to spray the inside. Most important thing is the vacuum system and a dust deputy /cyclone air particle seperator works wonders. I built my own and still working great. Just a shop vac leaves a mess all over the shop. Made a post about it a few years ago. Oh and don't use sand ..............very dangerous to breath, I always just use glass beads from harbor freight and with a collector I usually just empty the bucket form the collector back in the cabinet once or twice before I trash it. Now as for the nozzels in the gun just use the cheap steel ones and bore them out large and replace often a small hole takes forever to blast something.

Vr4junkie

That cabinet looks good considering its made of free pallets I might just give the Harbour Freight soda blaster a try lets just hope my compressor can keep up.

kooter

Being that it is a pressured tank and not a syphon feed style it should work a little better with a smaller compressor. Not sure if your aware or not but using soda medie is I believe more for removing paint and such, not so much for rust and corrorion.
The cabinet looks a little better then the current pictures. It has been a pretty fun project I have no carpentry experience what so ever. So I have just been totally winging it. As with everything there have been issues and distraction.
I would be glad to hear how it works out I have been looking at getting one of those for use on my engine bay that is almost empty.
I will soon be looking for advice on how to remove the engine harness from the firewall on both sides. That is a whole nother adventure.

Vr4junkie

Yea I am aware of that I just need it to remove the paint off the suspension parts and engine bay I tryed hand sanding but screw that I gave up after the first hour /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

Ill post a little mini review on what I get before and after pics but that Eastwood blaster looks nice since it can use abrasive media and soda media but wonder if the soda blaster can run abrasive media.

Vr4junkie

So here's the blaster I went with only $29.99 at harbour freight doesn't work to good with baking soda but a 70/30 mix of play sand and soda makes a big difference just a little messy that's for sure overall not bad for the price just need a better compressor pump.

Kooter you need to pm some detailed pics of your blaster cabinet don't think my neighbors like me getting there cars dusty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

kooter

Man I was really hoping you had gotten the harbor freight one. I plan to buy it next month. Would have loved to know how well it works, or doesn't.
My first and cheapest suggestion would be to just get a couple cheapy plastic tarps and make yourself a tent. Or hell go buy a cheapy tent, that is if you are only doing a few things and don't have long term need or use of a blaster or blaster cabinet.

home made blast cabinet smecca.com

home made blaster cabinet customfighters.com

Just a couple of article I read before had. Had I not been trying to do this as cheap as I could just to see what I could come up with. Much easier then ripping pallets apart.( not easy work at all) Would be to just buy a sheet or two of plywood. I vaguely racall out there somewhere is a site that has plans for a blaster cabinet using two pieces of plywood. Had all the measurements and what not.

Basically I spent a couple months reading and researching then a couple days ripping up pallets, then two weekends in the garage just winging it. As much as I love the idea of measure twice cut once I am no carpenter. So it was more like measure 5 or 6 times then cut twice for every time I measured.

I don't know if play sand is like regular sand, if it is for the love of god don't use it. Silicosis is NOT something you want to risk. Only use appropriate media and ware a mask/breather.

As you can see I had some trouble making the media pyramid so I just went with a simplier design.

Seeing as how this is probably going to be used mainly for the galant restoration project I am not really to worried about it lasting. So I will probably just use some rubberized undercoating as I can get it through work. I did like curtiss' idea of having it sprayed but as stated trying to keep cost to a bare minimum.

eventually I will just shell out the cash for a real one. Maybe have I buy or build an over to do powdercoating.
As always more projects and ideas then time and money.
Good luck with you project. Please keep us updated. I find it very motivational to see what everyone else is doing.
Maybe this one would work I think . lol
I friggin wish!!!

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

I was going to get it but the 15lb is a little small looks like a pain in the ass to fill I read some reviews and looked at some videos they seem to work ok but need a good air compressor.

Its just regular play sand from lowes really fine not rocky nice even peables I seen a guy on youtube using it works really good as for Silicosis I have no idea what that is. But a tent does sound like a good idea because those two parts I cleaned up made a mess.

But what I want to do next is upgrade my compressor pump I have a 33gal 6.5Hp Oilless Craftsman air compressor I got a rebuild kit for it but it still cant keep up and gets crazy hot after continuous use. I want to see what I can do as for and upgrade to a v-twin pump or a single seen some good priced ones online but I think a twin might be a little much for a 33gal tank but well see.

Last edited:

kooter

Sand dust in your lungs bad nasty awful way to die. Seriously google it . Regular sand is a big no no .

Vr4junkie

wow thanks for the heads up I figured play sand no biggie im ganna have to buy a good mask.

kooter

It's all good. I thought about getting that same blaster awhile ago. But I just figured for larger jobs it would be more of a pain in the ass then just waiting a little and getting something better. The body shop we use through work has a real blaster cabinet, its kinda old and beat up a little bit it works alright. Just a pain to go over there after work, hope no one is using it. I will admit I have the enthusiasm of a teenager, but I have the energy and motivation of a almost 40 year old man. I am though trying to get at least a little something done everyday.

To that I now go to my engine harness post to update and ask yet a few more questions.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts