The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

E85 with "EVO" upgrades?

Yes, I want to run E85 on my DD with the regular EVO upgrades such as the 560cc injectors, MAS, B16G Turbine Housing on 14b turbo and 264/272 hks cams.

Will it be possible for me to run E85 with these parts and still maintain the power the engine delivers, or will it loose some power with this setup on E85? I still have the stock cams that I can switch back to, if that matters?

Muskrat

How are you tuning it?

Oh, and you'll need much larger injectors. Ethanol is less energy dense than gasoline, so you need to burn more to make the same power (stochiometric afr for gas is 14.7:1 E85 is ~9:1.). The advantage is it's 110 octane effectively. Which means you can run higher boost and much more aggresive timing with it.

Why do you want to run E85? Gas mileage will probably suffer, and for your mods, you really don't need it.

Last edited:

There is a ship in it. I do not know how made it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif But it works very good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The reason why I want to run E85 is because of the price, E85 is much cheaper than regular gas. 1 liter gas costs me about 1,80usd and 1 liter E85 costs me about 1,40usd.

What injectors are recomended? Can I still use the stock pistons or do I need to upgrade them?

Muskrat

Cost per liter may be better, but remember you're going to use more fuel, so actualized cost savings wont be $0.40 per liter, and may end up costing you more.

I don't think you really have a good understanding of what you're doing if you're asking if you need to change pistons. I'd recommend searching this site, and google for as much information as you can on E85, converting to E85, and how engines work in general. Then decide if it is really worth it for yourself.

Bare bones you'll need to figure out how much more fuel you need to be adding (aka injector size), and have the car retuned to run on E85, which will either be a new chip, or dsmlink, or some other similar product.

Last edited:

broxma

there is a injector calculator online to figure effective size when switching. The 1050's I have go down to somewhere in the 750 range, effectively. I don't know if the reduction is linear, but assuming it's close, this would make your 560's most likely below the factory 450cc, effectively. With the 16g, I'd say the setup is a bad idea. Go with at least 750's.

/brox

belize1334

You're likely to get less than 70% of your gas mileage on E85. As such, your fuel savings will be (1.80*0.75-1.40)=-0.05$ per gallon. That is, once you factor in how much more ethanol you need you'll actually spend more than you would on gas.

insane92

Your also going to need a afpr and walbro 255. I would also recommend getting dsmlink to tune. Or at least a safc and chip burned for e85.

Nartanian

An afpr is not required, but I'd recommend it. I DD on E85 and if you are easy on the gas pedal, mileage won't suffer too much. E85 here is ~$2.15 while premium is ~$2.98. What I would do is talk to Jeff and have him burn you a chip. Have a wideband also to monitor you a/f ratio and an safc to make small adjustments here and there, especially if they change the blends during the season. With you set-up the stock injectors won't cut it. I wouldn't go anything the small than 750cc personally.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned