The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

e85 and braided rubber lines

gvr41190

I'm finally back to working on my car and planning on mounting the pump and running the fuel lines this week. I have ss braided line from Summit, but I've been having second thoughts. I've read a lot of differing opinions regarding nitrile rubber lines and E85. What are your real world experiences?

Since I already have the ss line and fittings, I'm not real stoked on the buying PTFE lines and fittings. If I could safely get a couple of years before the lines degrade, I'd be ok with that.

I'll be running an 044 pump and Fuelab818 with the 40 micron ss filter close to the stock location.

Thanks for your input!

Gizmovr4

Been using E85 in a few cars for the past 4 years all have ss lines with zero leaks or issues...

vr4play

I use the russell pro-classic hose running my first year on E85 and had to shorten a section of hose after changing some fittings around and haven't had any leakage problems but the hose sure is a lot stiffer than it was when it was new. I expect to get at least a few years out of it.

gvr41190

I've got Summit's brand of ss line.

I've read that it does get brittle, almost "drying out." As long as it doesn't leak or crack and send small pieces into the injectors, I'm ok.

Thanks for your input!

ghostinthevr4

Quoting gvr41190:

Since I already have the ss line and fittings, I'm not real stoked on the buying PTFE lines and fittings. If I could safely get a couple of years before the lines degrade, I'd be ok with that.

Sell your rubber SS lines and and go buy the PTFE line then you'll have piece of mind your fuel line won't detiriate.

snailspool

I had the summit SS hose for about 3 years, no real signs of degredation.

curtis

Well a friend of mine bought new lines a year ago last fall from a local circle track parts store. -8 and -6 return. Car has been down since last November. He had one spot that had pinched near the front sway bar and just a small flat spot no bend overs and had a leaks so his roommate had 15ft of -8.... problem solved. I changed out the ends and about an hour later he's back saying the -6 return was leaking but not sure where. I capped the ends with quick disconnects and then pressurized it and it was like a screen door. This was just pump gas with the 10% mix so not sure why it failed but the pinch I guess wasn't the only problem. The place use to sell only earl's brand but in the past few years stared selling the redhorse brand fittings and thinking this line maybe redhorse or some ebay knock off line because pump gas sitting in it and probably less than 4K miles shouldn't have killed it. I had some aeroquip -6 line so problem solved and car is 99% complete doing seat brackets and a few more things before it goes to the dyno but its really BS the line failed that quick.

With that said beware of knock off brand lines and check what kind of warranty the seller has on it.

raptorWagon

Regardless of either PTFE lined or not, it's still a rubber hose, over time sure it will deteriorate and leak, but not anytime soon lol like your stock 21/22yr old lines would lol.

PTFE wouldn't hurt for reassurrance if you're that worried. You would really need PTFE lined hose for stuff like brake lines and if you're running Nitrous that require the hose to be able to withstand up to 3000psi of pressure.

spooling92vr4

Just got done replacing all my ss fuel lines with summit brand. Had -8 feed and -6 return replaced the feed and then the return was leaking like a sieve. Its been about 6 years the line had about 3k miles on it.. I think I got the hose from vibrant but dont remember. Just go with the proper lines

gvr41190

According to the Ethanol and E85 Compatibility Chart, the Summit hose is compatible since it is synthetic nitrile rubber. Although, first hand experience by mutiple people has shown some degredation ("drying" and stiffening) of the line over time. Sound about right?

Has anyone had a significant failure that resulted in more than just replacing the fuel line? Any lean conditions caused by a clogged injector or fuel filter? (I'm not talking about the "black goo.")

At this point, I'm certain that PTFE ss line is the best way to go, but I'm not convinced that using regular nitrile rubber ss line is wrong.

How many of you use PTFE line?

snailspool

Quoting snailspool:
I had the summit SS hose for about 3 years, no real signs of degredation.

Note: I called summit tech, and they did say it was E85 compatible, due to nitrile rubber.

Barnes

I'm making a little chemical compatibility chart, but just pulling Nitrile from Cole Parmer shows that it is considered "fair" for use with ethanol, "excellent" for leaded and unleaded gas. By Cole Parmer's definition of 'fair' I could still see it being usable. Just kinda odd to me.

uncleben4rice

I run E85 and after 4 years I have to replace lines. Dont let the car sit. My car was down for about 4 months. When I turned on fuel leaks everywhere. Don't let E85 sit in lines. I should have purged lines free of E85.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts