The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dynatek Arc-2 problems.

JamesFoster

I just installed a Dynatek Arc-2 on my car, only to find it was bad right out of the box. Tried to start the car, it misfires and bucks and backfires, I changed the switches on the side to see if that was what was doing it, same thing happens. Unplug it and the car starts right up. Brand new in the box, Although it's been sitting for a few years. Bummer. I yanked it back out. f***ing waste of time.

EDIT: I'm editing this post because I may have been hasty to be so negative about the product. I'm sure it's a good ignition amplifier, I just had some issues. I'm sending it in to find out of it was bad or if user error caused mine to not function properly.

Last edited:

curtis

I'd call them up and see if there's anything they can do about replacing it.

Champ_168

You can not just switch the switches, you have to disconnect power to change the switches.
You probably have the wrong settings selected on the switches.

TRBODSM

^ is right. Power needs to be off to switch settings. If there is a problem with it they have the best customer service I know of. They will take care of you.

boostin4door

I did a post on this awhile back.
I had a similar prob with mine when first installed it a couple of years back. It would pop and backfire. It grounded to the fire wall w/paint sanded off. It was a new unit out the box. Sent it back to them and had them check it out. Spoke directly to a tech and he was very helpful supportive. It tested out fine.
What I found out was, it HAS to be grounded really WELL or actually preferrably directly to the BATTERY. Since my battery was in the trunk I ran the ground cable all the way to it.
IT has Worked perfectly ever since!!
So try grounding to your battery and see what happens.
good luck.
Ps,
Also I'm using cop w/a oem plug. If your using stock coils I think theres a mod you need to do in order for it to work.

JamesFoster

Quoting Champ_168:
You can not just switch the switches, you have to disconnect power to change the switches.

I tried that, didn't make a difference.

Quoting TRBODSM:
^ is right. Power needs to be off to switch settings. If there is a problem with it they have the best customer service I know of. They will take care of you.

I'm sure they will, I was pretty frustrated when I started this thread. And I know the power has to be off to switch settings, didn't help.

Quoting boostin4oor:
I had a similar prob with mine when first installed it a couple of years back. It would pop and backfire. It grounded to the fire wall w/paint sanded off. It was a new unit out the box. Sent it back to them and had them check it out. Spoke directly to a tech and he was very helpful supportive. It tested out fine.
What I found out was, it HAS to be grounded really WELL or actually preferrably directly to the BATTERY. Since my battery was in the trunk I ran the ground cable all the way to it.
good luck.
Ps,
Also I'm using cop w/a oem plug. If your using stock coils I think theres a mod you need to do in order for it to work.

I had it grounded to the same ground I have going to the alternator and the block, but maybe it needed to be connected to the battery. I have the same setup, battery in the trunk. Maybe I'll run the ground to the trunk and connect it to the battery before I send it back to Dynatek.
I also have a COP with the stock plug, so it should be ok.

thecman02

I'm a little late to the discussion, but everyone friend I know that has one has had a problem with theirs at one time or another. Its becoming a little worry some.

Champ_168

To reconfirm, you are disconnecting power to the arc2 to change the settings?
Not just turning the car off....

Physically disconnecting it from power...

Quoting JamesFoster:
Quoting Champ_168:

I tried that, didn't make a difference.

Quoting TRBODSM:

I'm sure they will, I was pretty frustrated when I started this thread. And I know the power has to be off to switch settings, didn't help.

Quoting boostin4oor:
good luck.
Ps,

I had it grounded to the same ground I have going to the alternator and the block, but maybe it needed to be connected to the battery. I have the same setup, battery in the trunk. Maybe I'll run the ground to the trunk and connect it to the battery before I send it back to Dynatek.
I also have a COP with the stock plug, so it should be ok.

cheekychimp

Quoting thecman02:
I'm a little late to the discussion, but everyone friend I know that has one has had a problem with theirs at one time or another. Its becoming a little worry some.

I don't really know anything about this model but a long time ago a member on here told me that there were only three CDi systems out there used by serious competitors in Motorsport and they are all manufactured in Australia. M&W, Motec and Autronic.

Street Surgeon

Eh, Kiggly uses one with no issues /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I had one on my old Talon but that was involved in a head-on collision so it only lasted about 763 miles, nice thing is I sent it in to Dynatec to have it looked at and they're shipping a new one back to me! No fuss, no charge, that's some good customer service!

JamesFoster

I'm sure it's a great product, I just couldn't get mine to work properly. Due to a faulty product or user error? I'm not sure yet. I'm gonna send it it to them and have them test it out for me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts