The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

dump or no dump

GSX_TC

It all depends on you, generally the younger crowd is gonna want loud and annoying and basically the older you get it'll start to annoy you. I have always loved loud and because it truly is music to my ears, hearing the turbo, fuel pump, bov, wastegate etc etc, I love all that.

BadVr4

Quoting raptorreed:
Quoting BadVr4:
dumps are awesome. you will be happy if you do it. just make sure your dump tube is long enough and aimed in the right direction so it doesn't kill your alternator

Or just relocate your alternator.

no need to relocate your alternator, all the the dumps on the market will have a long enough tube so that they dont blow exhaust on the alternator, if you are making your own, just make sure it is long enough. if you want the noise, dump it, if you want it quiet, recirculate it. plain and simple

transparentdsm

Quoting GSX_TC:
It all depends on you, generally the younger crowd is gonna want loud and annoying and basically the older you get it'll start to annoy you. I have always loved loud and because it truly is music to my ears, hearing the turbo, fuel pump, bov, wastegate etc etc, I love all that.

i love all of it too. the only thing i think is when at low RPM cruising at like 70-80 i could go for the exhaust being a little more quiet.

JNR

Guess I'm used to 2k @ 80 mph as being low...but IIRC this vr-4 did like 3500 @ 80, or something like that...not low, IMO, but it is a 4 banger and needs the low gearing so it doesn't bog.

turbowop

I wanna say that my cars are close to 4k rpm when doing 75-80mph. Very buzzy while cruising. I would love to have the taller 5th gear.

JNR

Yeah, wouldn't mind a 6th gear in these, for times you're just cruising on flat land doing 80-85, so the engine is revving lower, but the extra 'instant' power is needed...when the turbo 'kicks in' these things have some incredible power (when modified), but it's those times it's at a low rpm and in a high gear that you remember you're driving a 4 cylinder. Luckily they're geared so low and we have a choice to downshift manually that it's rarely an issue.

I remember the first time I drove my dad's 1G eclipse (only a GS n/a) up north and the entire time it was revving 3-3.5k and just felt it was bad for the engine, but then again these things are DOHC and seem to like to be revving. The same thing in my VR-4 the dew times I took it up there with it revving so high the entire way...didn't do anything bad and still got good mileage (up to 28 mpg for a long stretch), but just weird when you think about it. As a result, I don't take it over 80 mph unless I was passing somebody or something (compared to my other 'performance' cars with 6-speeds that wanted to cruise at 100 mph all day [not that I'd do that though]).

mikus

taller 5th gear is highly recommended on rebuild for those that DD esp at speed. It's not a big difference mathmatically but you really do notice in terms of driving quality IMO

JNR

I want to say the PO told me he changed the 5th gear ratio and perhaps he did then, if around 4k is stock @ 80? Can't wait to drive this again and see what he rpms are at that speed on mine, but want to say 3500 (80 mph).

Wizardawd

I agree on the little turbo dumps...Had some back in the day and yes, mostly annoying a lot of the time. Big turbo cars I really do like the sound of an open dump. But, at the same time, I was truly fascinated at that twin-turbo AT talon at the shootout. Quiet as all hell and mid 9s. Getting old I guess.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts