The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

dump or no dump

16g16v

Hey guys. I have done a good amount of maintenance to 1829 since I got it back in may. Replaced the intake Mani gasket, t-belt water pump,balance shaft belt,replaced faulty wires to the safc replaced the maf housing with a brand new g.m unit,replaced most of the intercooler pipes,new tb gasket,and replaced all the vac lines,replaced the hub bearings,and four new nittos.The car is running great and pulls alot harder then when I purchased it.my next move is to replace the 95 exhaust manifold that is on there with an FP. As of now there is a punishment atmosphere dump on there and I was wondering if I should go with another new punishment unit or get the punishment o2 housing only.I'm running 15 lbs on a 16g setup,and I searched and found alot of mixed reviews. Also while the manifold is off is there anything else I should look for and replace besides the hardwear and gaskets?. Thank you.Im at band camp with my son at the moment so I will post pics when I get home.

belize1334

I say no dump. It's very loud and offers minimal gains. IMHO it belongs on an all out race-car that's hunting for 1% more power.

James

I say always dump, and my reasoning is... Why not

16g16v

The noise level really does not bother me to much. But what i was concerned about was if there would be more turbulence or a boost creep issue without the dump. But would that only be concerned with cars with bigger turbos and higher levels of boost?.I have a full 3in system with no cat and a mbc.

turbowop

I have my wastegate dumping to atmosphere, but the car runs 27+ PSI and it's an external gate so you don't really hear it unless I really get on it. I don't think an open dump belongs on an internally gated 16g car running only 15psi. Too much noise too often, IMO.

jnava

Staff member
Do what you want to do with it. If you feel that getting it dumped will make you happy, go with it. My was dumped and it killed 3 alts. That was in my particular situation but I installed a ported 2g o2 instead and resolved the issue.

Ian M

Having two cars,one dumped external and one not,my opinion is "NO" to the external. Maybe it's me getting old,but the noise is annoying anymore. Like someone else mentioned on a low boost 16g setup that thing will be more noticable and annoying driving under normal conditions,like merging into traffic for instance..You aren't wringing it's tits,but the turbo is spooled and the wastegate is open.

One good thing-a dump does make you more choosy where you do goof off,especially in a populated area where cops might be near! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GSX_TC

Lol wringing it's titts haha Nice

James

I would say a safe guideline would be 1-19psi recirculate 20+ dump.

TomN

You have to go by your own likes and dislikes.
I personally do not like dumps on a street car.

BadVr4

dumps are awesome. you will be happy if you do it. just make sure your dump tube is long enough and aimed in the right direction so it doesn't kill your alternator

LIV4PSI

I loved my dumped external wastegate on my STI. But it is on a 30R sized turbo, so I can only hear it when I am "wringing it tits" so to speak. At WOT the car so obnoxious anyways, the wastegate just adds to the symphony.

raptorWagon

Quoting BadVr4:
dumps are awesome. you will be happy if you do it. just make sure your dump tube is long enough and aimed in the right direction so it doesn't kill your alternator

Or just relocate your alternator.

JNR

^^^What about those of us who still have an ice cold A/C? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This reminds me I need to either extend my pipe or ideally put it back into the DP somewhere using some flex tubing or something. I've not heard it 'open' so can't comment on how it sounds, but rather have it recirc'd back into the exhaust somewhere as it seems it could be annoying. Turbo was doing ~22-23 psi and is decent sized, so not sure if that'll make a difference on when I'd hear it or not and/or how loud.

LILEVO

Dump is stupid.

I just put down 745awhp at 40psi and mine is recirc'ed into the exhaust.

Sooo yeah

mikus

ohh, horsepower. This guy is probably right.

No really though, dump is like women in slutty dress. Done right it's a cheap thrill like no other, done wrong they're all going to laugh. If you've got teh goods to fill it out right, you'd know already

16g16v

Is there a quality diffrence in the swain unit and the punishment piece.?. I know the swain is thermal coated but it is also alot cheaper.stm offers both.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts