The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dual pushing fans?

tektic

Has anyone swapped out the factory puller for a second pushing fan with good results? I could swap for a slim fan, but would rather just get it completely out of the way.

Do most people ditch the high low resistor when swapping fans or keep it for ease of connection?

JNR

Pusher fans are not as effecient (don't work as well) as puller fans, especially those with a shroud. May still work and all with higher cfm, apples to appkes, just saying be aware.

tektic

Yes, supposedly a reduction of up to 20% efficiency. That's why I wanted to see if anyone else had positive results before I pursued it.

I have ac in the car so I'd be replacing the passenger side or both fans.

Also I'm using a factory style DSM radiator currently.

Getting the fans in that big gap between the ic and condenser would be a much better use of space. A pretty thick fan would fit too so maybe a stock style fan from another car would fit the bill.

I just upgraded my bov and it is hits the fan shroud with the ets ic kit. Also I want to upgrade to a bigger intake tube. A 13" slim fan would work I suppose, but to hide the fan in the bumper would be ideal.

GSTwithPSI

Two pushers should work just fine. I'd do the following:

-Pair 2 of the biggest fans that will fit. They should take up the entire radiator

-Use Spal fans. They are one of the only fans that actually move the air the are rated to flow at. They are rated in both pusher and puller configs, so finding two fans that are the right size and have the requisite flow should be easy. Fal fans are also legit, but fewer options are available. The Spal high performance fans move stupid amounts of air, so I use one of those as the main puller on my car. I'm using a large Spal slim fan as a pusher. For reference, I have the model numbers listed for the two fans I run on 1837 in my member showcase.

-Don't use a shroud. It won't help you unless the design is shaped and created to enhance flow (think any OEM shroud you've ever seen). An aluminum box is not a shroud, contrary to Mishimoto and most of the DIY shrouds I've seen done.

You'll also want to run everything directly off of battery power. On my personal cars, I run a hot wire from the fans straight to the battery. Then, I use the factory relay to control an additional high amp relay that works the ground side of the fans. I run both fans together, which works great. It typically takes 15 seconds or less for the fans to bring the car back to temp at idle on super hot days. Configured this way, they also both run whenever the AC is on, which is preferable, obviously. It's also nice for staging lanes at the track. I just kick on the AC and the fans work well enough to drag my temps down below my thermostat's opening temperature.

JNR

I have a SPAL pusher as an auxilliary, for the A/C...but of course running a puller with shroud as main. Forgot the brand of that one, nothing crazy though.

Have a brass radiator, which Ibthink is just stock and never ran into cooling issues with this car, fwiw. Far from stock engine and turbo (also has water cooling plumbed) setup.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts