The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DSM Newb here!

Hi all,
I'm Nick, just picked up a 91 Galant VR4, #1389/2000. As stated from the previous owner, it has an evo3 16g turbo, evo3 560cc injectors, all hard intercooler piping (2.5'' i believe) and a 2.5'' exhaust. Also has an ACT 2600 clutch and a walbro 255 fuel pump. The car is tuned on SAFCII for now, but I would like to have the car retuned on DSMlink sometime in the near future.

A newbie question to kick off my thread...is the space in the dash able to accommodate a double din radio? I have a radio out of my old car I would like to put in there. The car has an aftermarket radio in it now so idk if a double could have fit, but hopefully someone here can tell me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm not looking to do much to the car other than a tune this summer and learn to drive it well. The PO said the car made 300 wheel, which is faster by a longshot than anything I have ever owned in my life. I would rather learn to put 300 horsepower to the ground well at the track than mod the car to make 400 and not know how to drive it.

I'll post pictures sometime tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunoboy

They sell double din kits for our radio space.

makedollarz

If the galant already has a aftermarket radio it should also have some sort of aftermarket mounting kit and you should be able to just swap radios and wire your old radio to your new galant

It does have an aftermarket in it, I just wasn't sure if the factory radio was single din and the space wasn't meant to hold a double. Does anyone have a pic of a factory radio for a reference point?

makedollarz

The factory unit is huge, you could almost fit 2 of today's standard sized cd players where the factory unit sits.

Just modded the single din a bit and got my double in it. Need to order an antennae adapter but otherwards everything went smooth! old mounting brackets fit the new radio and this made me pretty excited.

Started doing some reading today. I'm debating holding onto the SAFCII tuning that the car currently has in it. The MBC is set currently at 20psi out of the e316g turbo in it and I would like to go to 25-28lbs. Does anyone have experience tuning in SAFCII? I have a wideband that I plan on installing before I do this obviously to keep afr's safe. Are there any other supporting mods that I need to look into before considering this? Any words of warning I should heed (aside from ensuring routine maintenance has been done)? I have tuned in HPTuners before on several GM cars and am not afraid to work with tuning software, nor am I inexperienced in using tuning software. I originally planned to switch to DSMlink but the SAFCII doesn't seem too horrible for basic parameter control.

spooln4fun

Welcome, and I have searched a few places trying to find a picture of a stock radio setup. Haven't had luck yet. But they did come with 2 single din radios. The top section being a radio and the bottom one the cd player. If I come across a pic i'll pm ya.

Edit- found a picture of a factory radio bezel to help you better understand what I was talking about.

click

You can browse the members showcase area to see if you can find any with a stock radio in it as well.

Last edited:

I managed to make the double din fit. I just need the plate that goes around it and the antennae adapter.

Should I edit my OP to say what one of my other posts said about SAFCII and wanting to raise the boost?

And thanks for the welcomes!

GSX_TC

How about some pics

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned