The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DSM link guys.

AWDnot2

Actually, this is a question for anyone who has control of their timing/AF with larger cams installed.

At idle, what adjustments did you make to help your car idle smoothly (or more smoothly) again.

I'm only running HKS 264s and every sec or two it will lope (which almost feels like a misfire), but nothing radical whatsoever, just one little bump here and there. Now, I didn't touch the fuel or timing at idle, yet. Before I go experimenting with changing the timing/fuel, would anybody have some insight on this? ATM, I think a simple minor change in timing should cure the problem. I would just like some assurance that I'm heading the right direction as I know nothing of the specs of the HKS cams, besides their duration.
Would I be better off leaving the timing alone and adjusting the fuel?

I've been in cars with the same cams and you couldn't even tell, it idles as smooth as stock, with no hiccups.

Knowing where to begin would be helpful.

ghostinthevr4

I'm running dsmlink with HKS 264/272 I raised my too 950 to get the lopes out. I believe I read an article about hot came want more fuel or a faster idle, it was one of the two. I actuauly try to run a little lean at idle, I'll look for the article and report back to you. I wouldnt add fuel I would just bump the idle up and see what's more comfortable to your needs. I even lowered my idle and put a high flow cat on and passes CA smog with 650 FIC injectors. I wouldn't add more fuel, that's just me I'll look for that article for you.

evo8ya

Can you post a log of what's happening? It'll be easier to let you know on what to adjust.

AWDnot2

Quoting evo8ya:
Can you post a log of what's happening? It'll be easier to let you know on what to adjust.

I logged it and everything is normal, that's what had me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Quoting blacksheep:
Whats wrong with the lope, I guess? Is it bad to have the lope coz I thought bigger cams came with the lope?

Nothing "wrong" with the lope it's just nice to have a stock feel. And it wasn't like a normal consistent lope, a normal lope I wouldn't mind. It felt like a misfire every sec or so (no misfire). You could barely feel it, it was very audible though.

Quoting ghostinthevr4:
Read this whole article it has some good info and I can't remember where it talks about the cams. click hopefully it will help.

Very good info! Thank you.

Last edited:

bustedsm

Crank up your idle timing a couple degrees and get back to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AWDnot2

Heading to the garage now. A gift was just delivered. 6 of them actually.

dsc09076-thumb.jpg

AWDnot2

1deg + timing did the trick. Purrs like an angry kitten /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'm a little intoxicated so I'll have to do the test drive tomorrow.

Update: After letting a sober friend drive it for a few miles, it did it again.

I added +.8 fuel (14.7 to 13.9) and it seemed to work, even after a 10 miles of stop and go.
The angry kitten is back.

Cheers!

Last edited:

prove_it

Have you gotten your MAF COMP really really close.
This made a night a day difference in my built engine with a stock intake and a 264 ex cam.
Not just the the auto maf comp. I mean a full pull and adjusted based on wideband?

AWDnot2

this was on an evo, using ECUflash. I'm still running the factory airbox so I didn't have to play with the scaling.

evo8ya

oh weird, I'm running gsc 264's and my idle is rock solid. I just selected the correct maf setting for my setup. You could try some cam gears to get rid of the lumpy idle. On link I would try the same things you have already. add 1% fuel & timing then jack the idle to about 1000-1050 setting on link. Where are your STFT and LTFT? Within - or + 5%? Also what injectors and Maf are you running?

bustedsm

One thing you have to look into is the lift and duration. From what I've recognized is that GSC cams don't have a huge lift and pretty short duration so it'll idle pretty close to stock. Now, I've forgotten what the OP has for a cam setup but cams like BC, HKS, and FP have a higher ramp rate and a little longer duration so it'll lope pretty hard unless you crank up the base timing (idle) or lean it out a little.

For instance: BC 272's at 850, stock idle timing.

click

AWDnot2

Quoting evo8ya:
oh weird, I'm running gsc 264's and my idle is rock solid. I just selected the correct maf setting for my setup. You could try some cam gears to get rid of the lumpy idle. On link I would try the same things you have already. add 1% fuel & timing then jack the idle to about 1000-1050 setting on link. Where are your STFT and LTFT? Within - or + 5%? Also what injectors and Maf are you running?

I’m using the factory ECU (ECUflash). I figured the DSMlink guys, since they have control of the fuel/timing, would have knowledge.
I’m using the factory MAF, stock air box and stock injectors, so my trims are solid.

Quoting bustedsm:
One thing you have to look into is the lift and duration. From what I've recognized is that GSC cams don't have a huge lift and pretty short duration so it'll idle pretty close to stock. Now, I've forgotten what the OP has for a cam setup but cams like BC, HKS, and FP have a higher ramp rate and a little longer duration so it'll lope pretty hard unless you crank up the base timing (idle) or lean it out a little.

For instance: BC 272's at 850, stock idle timing.

As for the higher ramp rate, would this be the reason for some lifter tick? I’ve noticed that w/ the HKS 264s there is more lifter noise than with the stock cams. When I installed the stock cams, the “tick” went away. Installed the 264s again, and the noise came back.

evo8ya

oh alright, it was alittle confusing but I got ya now. You're running ECUflash for your evo. You can tune out idle lump in the IX's using the mivec maps. As for the 03-05's it's alittle more tricky. You can try to add some timing (maybe some fuel too) in the 500-1000 cells at 20 & 30 load and see if that helps. I've ran 264's in my evo aswell. It idled like stock. Even with gsc 272in 264ex it was pretty smooth too. S2's that I'm running now, a different story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
As for the lifter tick. Max lift clearence for stock springs is 10.6mm on the intake side. HKS 264's, 272's, and 280 all have a 10.8mm lift (intake cam) so the spring retainer just kisses the top of the valve seal making that tick sound. If and when you want bigger cams, go with GSC S1's (if you don't want to upgrade springs). The ramp rates that GSC uses make more power than HKS264's and depending on setup their 272's aswell.

Last edited:

AWDnot2

Damn! Well, I guess I'll be pulling these cams, AGAIN, and installing the GSCs.

Anybody want to buy a HKS 264 cam set? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

evo8ya

Plenty of people run HKS's with stock springs and have been fine. But yeah, I pulled mine too when I found out the lift info. Now I'm running S2's with 11.4mm lift/274 duration and single beehive springs and a stock IX turbo. The car pulls very hard and idles like lumpy mash potatos haha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. GL

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts