The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DSM Expert: Help regarding using stock ECU!

alansupra94

Well, I need some help regarding running a stock non-eprom ECU with this setup.

I have a built motor finally going into my VR4 with the follow specs that are not the same as stock:
- JE piston 8.5:1
- Crower Stage 3 Camshaft ( 280280br>Dur @ .050: 218216br>Lift (in): .422"/.418" Lift (mm): 10.71/10.60)
- MHI EVOIII 16G turbo (Stock Boost)
- Walbro 255LH with Aeromotive FPS (I figured I should just throw it in there)

Will the stock ECU be able to handle this? I just wanted to run this setup for a little to break in the motor without having to worry about tuning and problems.

Thanks,
Alan

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

what size injectors, what mas. if both stock 1g it'll run without hurting anything at stock boost levels, the cams may make it run odd as they are a fair bit bigger but just go easy till you get a tunable set up in there & you should be fine. err, providing you are using a turbo non-eprom ecu.

donniekak

Quoting OZRally:
Stock ECU won't be able to handle it. That setup must have a tune to work.

Care to elaborate? As mentioned, stock mas, and injectors will be fine at low boost.

alansupra94

Thats what I figured as I am using the stock MAF (I think its gutted or something) and stock injectors. I understand the idle will move around, as it should since they are freaking 280 duration with some serious lift.

It not like I will be racing around in it either....just normal driving, nothing past 5K....just a little boost here and there to set the rings.

It will be a 1G Turbo NON-EPROM ECU.

Thanks,
Alan

prove_it

Your compression is increased from 7.8 to 8.5:1. This alone will cause knock. The stock 1G timing maps are too aggressive even for a stock set-up. Increasing compression without compensating timing curves will end up bad. Even at stock boost levels. You also have a 16G which flows more volume than a 14B. It's not all about boost pressure. You'll still be adding more air to the engine even at the same boost.

In the end you'll need to either run standalone, ECUlink, or a Keydiver chip. Be sure to plan out what you'll need. You WILL need more injector and I would say EVO 560's will work, but won't leave you any room to expand. 680's would be a good place to start in my opinion. Also I would recommend swapping out your stock MAF as it will see the limits of your set-up fairly soon. You should be ok if you leave boost at stock, but honestly how long will that last?

IncorpoRatedX

step one, reinstall stock cams.

step two, obtain unhacked stock maf

step three, save up money

step four, remove head from anal cavity

step five, buy correct parts to support engine build.

SouthCaliVR4

I have a evo three 16 & am running 9.1 without knock & no chip & no vpc on 14 lbs of boost with a whopping 3degrees of timing pulled. And have been doing so roughly the whole eight years I have owned my car, In WA with 92 I ran 16lbs of boost. but dropped it out of concern given 91 is all that is available down here.

My car has perfect drivabiltity & other than the odd phantom knock from my 1g lifters I never see any issue. So long as he drives conservativly & has stock boost levels How is his lower comp motor going to see issues while I have not?

prove_it

I don't fully understand your first sentence, evo three 16?

Anyway, I guess your different because I know Mitsubishi themselves changed the timing in the 7 bolt 4g63's because of higher compression. How your running 9.1:1 compression with no issues is a pretty interesting feat if you ask me.

To the OP: You just built an engine. I'm sure it cost more than 100 bucks, right? So why get cheap now. Do it right out of the box. You'll save time, money and your car won't be sitting on jackstands every weekend.

alansupra94

Quoting Alpha Male:
step one, reinstall stock cams.

step two, obtain unhacked stock maf

step three, save up money

step four, remove head from anal cavity

step five, buy correct parts to support engine build.

Here let me fix that step setup for you.

step one: Go f*** yourself

Step two: Repeat step one

Step three: Repeat step two

I think you get the picture. I guess you miss the part where I wanted to break in the motor using a stock ECU so I don't have to worry about the tune so much right away. I would much rather let the engine break in without stressing it with dyno runs to tune the setup. I had a DSMLink V3 and sold it for an AEM EMS, AEM serial gauge and AEM wideband.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned