The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DSG Time Attack VR4 build *Tons of Pics**

324vr4

its like your building the exact car i want to build with mine, but you have time and money to do it. nice work! i only have my red corbeaus installed in 324...so far

Today I mounted the brake duct inlets to the "new" bumper that I picked up from Besso. And then I mounted the bumper back up to the car. Doing body work on a 15 year old car sucks. The passenger side of the bumper sticks out about 4 inches, and when you bend it back in, it crimps and folds in a couple of points. But its on.

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

It has a bit of a snarl on the the drivers side do to the slightly mangles center bumper portion.

And I snapped of couple pics of the inter cooler piping (on the car for now) and the oil cooler, as per requests.
DSC00046-1.jpg

DSC00047-1.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00048-1.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

I apologize for the crappy pics, the car was still on the ground so I was just putting the camera in there and snapping pics.

skivittlerjimb

These maybe?
img.php
[/url]

$15 bucks each at Racer Parts Wholesale... I've been meaning the measure the fog light opening backside to see if these would fit.

Thanks for the continued documentation of the build up, Nick!

-Jim B.
280/1000
1432/2000

Quote:
thanks very much. the pics are perfect. i'm stealing your oil cooler mounting idea.

No sweat. Im glad those pics worked out for you. I wasnt exactly sure what you wanted to see.

Quote:
Where'd you get those foglight inserts?

I may need to repostion the passenger side one once the bumper is fastened, it looks a little kook-eyed. I got these off of ebay actually. But they have a site listed as www.nimac.biz if anyone is interested. I guess that have a lot of american engine exhaust flanges there too.

I need to find two more actually, but they need to be longer and thinner. I plan on makeing the upper blinker/city light openings into a ram air intake on the passenger side, and an alternator cooler on the drivers side. Its hard to find ducting thats about 7.5-8" long while only being about 3" high. I may have to make those out of aluminum.

Last edited by a moderator:

CP

I'm waiting to see pictures of your brake duct hose routing. I had issues with 1.5" hose. You'll need to remove all the splash shields to the front and inside of the front tires. It's very tight on the passenger side, and wide wheels/tires don't help clearance.

I think I'm going to go with some ducts that hang down from the lower control arms and pull air up from beneath the car towards the rotor hats.

324vr4

i am in the process of a blinker scoop as well. i used a carbide grinder and cut the blinker to just the orange reflective part. then i heated the glue and pulled the two halfs apart to create a larger scoop area. after the first stage of 'glassin and with the innner fender cut out as well for more flow, it's starting to look pretty effective. good luck!

Ted Andkilde

Quote:
thanks very much. the pics are perfect. i'm stealing your oil cooler mounting idea.

Just to be difficult...

Isn't the oil cooler supposed to be mounted "lines up" so it can't drain out and create an airlock when the car is turned off?

Cya, Ted

Bimmubishi

Ted, I don't know much about that. Mitsu seems to think that lines down is kosher.. note the factory mounting of mine..

evocooler_jpg.jpg

(pic taken last year) Note: badass corded street tires!

I think, without looking at the brakes, that we should weld thinwall tubing to the backing plates after machining a hole in them, and attach the hose to the backing plate.

We're going to be normalizing the finish on the IC pipes and then anodizing them. The turbo intake pipe is going to be remade pending aluminum shipment... The previous owner is responsible for the mounting of the coolers and IC pipe groundwork. I think it's really awesome, to be honest. It's as short as possible on a Galant. It's probably 3-4 feet shorter. Someone calculate the volumetric difference for (-)4 feet of 2.5" tube- 235 cubic inches!

Last edited:

The bumper looks like it fits nicely and those fog-light air ducts are cool. I was going to remove that license plat bracket too.
More ideas are brewing man. When you remove the passenger side turn signal, it basically becomes a straight air duct for your intake / engine bay.

(like so)

I also just happen to have a JDM drivers side (JP Passenger side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) clear corner if you want it.

the anodized pipes will look hawt.

I have been lagging in updates lately and I apologize. I had some time to do some work on the Galant this week and Im fairly satisfied with how its starting to look.

I first started to work on the trunk area, because that is the only section of the interior that I hadnt really touched. So yesterday I spend the morning stripping out most of the sound deadening and sanding the entire trunk.
DSC00070.jpg

This involved removing the fuel pump cover to reveal a very rusty fuel pump and fuel fitting. It was so brittle that it cracking in multiple places as soon as we attempted to remove the fuel line. Eventually the top of the pump broke right off. This, for most people would be a big deal. But luckily I was at the shop and Alex already had a fix setup in his mind.
DSC00065.jpg

(I was removing it to see what pump was in there. As it turns out, its a TT Supra pump! I love finding little bits of gold in the car!) Notice the POR15 on the pump too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

After painting all that, I had to let it dry over night. So I had to focus on other areas. I pulled down the ECU to prepare for the arrival of my new Keydiver chip, (which just arrived in the mail today). And I wanted to check the wiring to the SAFC and solder some of the wires that had been connected with those hoopty butt-connectors. Sorry no pics, not very exciting anyway.

Today I mounted up fire extinguisher to the drivers side area. Im rather pleased with the way that turned out. Its extremely accessible from virtually all angles, even with the door closed.
DSC00071.jpg

And I finished putting in all the grip tape to the floor boards. None of this is very technical, but it all needs to get done, and now it has.
DSC00072-1.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on dropping the chip off at the shop before I head into work so Al can throw it in for me.

Also, I recently noticed an outer CV boot was ripped on the drivers side, in addition to an axle seal leaking pretty badly. I have the seals to replace them with, but am on the fence as to what I should do about the axle. New boot? or new axles all together. Im leaning toward some Raxle's, but have yet to price them out. . .

Last edited by a moderator:

Bimmubishi

She's coming along well. We had some fuel leaks and then some tuning to do. Should be some updates soon! The car feels light and nimble- that's for sure. First event is April 4th!

rheckert

Did you just call a Galant "Light and Nimble..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Looks like is going to be a lot of fun. Can't wait to see some more pics.

CP

Where on the 4th? I'm hoping to make the COM event on the 9/10th.

I'm having trouble finding a cage builder at this point (Mowery can't do it), but will be talking with DWW Motorsport in Ayer this afternoon. I've been told that they're big with the Spec Miata crowd. If I can't get the cage installed by the COM event, I'm going to try to run anyway and just skip the time trial part.

JB

someone should post dates and times for these events. if they are not too far, i'd love to attend one.

CP

Good luck with finding one that's comprehensive. You need to be a member of most these clubs to do an event. Membership fees are usually $30-$50 poer year, and you get publications, parts discounts, etc with most of them.

Lime Rock and NHIS are close to us as I'm sure you know. These events aren't cheap, are very structured, and safety is taken VERY seriously.

Here's the calendar I use for BMWCCA events.

COMSCC schedule for 2007.

SCDA schedule.

Audi club events (Northeast Chapter)

JB

i meant to go watch. I'd feel bad whippin yo ass in the cavalier.

CP

Ah...only problem with that is most of these events are on weekdays. The high roller clubs (Porsche, Ferrari) can afford to rent tracks on weekends, but the rest of them try to maintain reasonable entry fees for us regular citizens with real jobs.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned