The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Driving with a welded center diff?

sublimesnfu

May get a transmission that has a welded center diff, looking for opinions/experiences driving with one. It will be for a DD that is city driven.

Thanks

Kibby

Gl with that. My buddy has a mechanical lsd in his 240 just backing out of the driveway the car fights itself when turning out.

turbowop

Have fun parallel parking. I wouldn't daily drive a car with a welded center.

That said, my car has one. No big deal for weekend excursions, but it would get annoying having to drive it every day.

bmxr152

I have a welded center diff and I daily drove my car for 2 years like that. I put 25k miles on it. Its not to bad, just u turns are kind of rough which I tried to avoid when I could. After blowing up my stock 2 spider I decided to weld my spare diff at work. If you can afford a 4 spider it superior IMO, but if your looking for a cheap drivetrain upgrade welding is where its at. I also have a VCE and have driven in both fwd and rwd before when doing work on the rear end and getting new axles for the front.

diambo4life

I daily'd my GVR4 all week and I drive it quite frequently to work...both of my jobs which is stop and go traffic + highway in a city. It has a welded center diff. Just remember to turn like a truck and you will be fine. No sharp turns. I do like it considering the alternative. Even though I got my old Talon into the 10's on a bone stock trans and an open CD....I went through TONS of them. So making that weak point stronger is a big advantage in the heavier GVR4...and the ability to dyno on a 2WD dyno is a plus.

Last edited:

christo

I didn't like it.

It wasn't bad once you got moving but trying to park in tight spaces or any tight maneuvers IE: city driving was a not enjoyable.

Everyone is different though, some it doesn't bother and some it does.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned